Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Taylor-Bye <jt...@hotmail.com> on 2008/12/11 00:28:43 UTC

Help

I have downloaded the installer for the latest apache software.  I am having
difficulties in actually setting it up for use on my pc.  I have no website
and server yet, i am just trying to teach myself this and do aim to set up
in the future.  So i just need to know how to set it up to use on my
machine.

Many thanks in advance.

Jtyalor-Bye

Re: Help

Posted by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.
James Taylor-Bye wrote:
> Hi and many thanks for your prompt reply.  I believe in trying to be as
> polite as possible when it comes to asking for help from strangers.  Anyway
> on with my problem.......
>
> You are absolutely correct in your assumptions, so far.  A bit more detail
> on my problem.  I can install the programme properly, it's just when it asks
> for a server and domain name whilst installing it that I fall flat on my
> face.  I have entered something to try and point it to my own created file
> on my pc yet it won't have it.  So i have put in anything and tried to
> change the config file to reflect this.  Obviously I haven't got a server or
> domain at the moment.  I just want to use the programme to teach myself a
> new programming language that hopefully i will be using at some point in the
> future.

Localhost is a perfectly valid thing to use in this case. Dont worry so
much about it. If you'd like i can suggest EasyPHP as a wonderful
prepackaged Apache/PHP/MySQL setup. Its what i use on all my windows
machines so far.

--
Morgan Gangwere

Unknown Software
http://sonof.bandit.name/
Member, INCOSE [ incose.org ] PACA [ paca.org ] and NMUG [ nmug.net ]

[indrora@boxly ~]#_

Find me on FreeNode! irc.freenode.net ~indrora on ##linux

RE: Help

Posted by James Taylor-Bye <jt...@hotmail.com>.
Hi and many thanks for your prompt reply.  I believe in trying to be as
polite as possible when it comes to asking for help from strangers.  Anyway
on with my problem.......

You are absolutely correct in your assumptions, so far.  A bit more detail
on my problem.  I can install the programme properly, it's just when it asks
for a server and domain name whilst installing it that I fall flat on my
face.  I have entered something to try and point it to my own created file
on my pc yet it won't have it.  So i have put in anything and tried to
change the config file to reflect this.  Obviously I haven't got a server or
domain at the moment.  I just want to use the programme to teach myself a
new programming language that hopefully i will be using at some point in the
future.

Again thanks in advance.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
James Taylor-Bye wrote:
> I have downloaded the installer for the latest apache software.  I am having
> difficulties in actually setting it up for use on my pc.  I have no website
> and server yet, i am just trying to teach myself this and do aim to set up
> in the future.  So i just need to know how to set it up to use on my
> machine.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Well, at least you ask nicely and you say thanks in advance. 2 bonus points.

 From the above, I will venture to guess that you have a PC with

?