Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/15 13:57:54 UTC

Creating menu bar based on session information

Hi all,

this is probably a trivial question, but I am unsure how to solve it best.

I have an object User user. It has the properties name, password and
List<Roles> roles.

Now I would like to create a navigation bar in my struts 2.2.1 jsp pages.

I wanted to avoid huge chunks of logic in my code. Therefore java code
in my templates should be avoided.

I have thought if the if/else struts tag would help me. But can I
access a list and look if a specific role is there?

How do others do that?

Thanks in advance,
Christian

Re: Creating menu bar based on session information

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> <s:if test="hasPrivileg('user')  == true">Yeah</s:if>
>
> Actually, you added a spelling mistake (+e on Privileg).  However, the
> previous example would work fine.  So a hybrid of the two:

Actually I had the spelling typo before, but now saw that in english
it is with +e

> <s:if test="hasPrivilege('user')">Yeah</s:if>

You are right, this works.

After all I am not sure why I have lost so much time today on this.

Thanks
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de

RE: Creating menu bar based on session information

Posted by "Biesbrock, Kevin" <Bi...@aoins.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> <s:if test="hasPrivilege(\"user\")">Login</s:if>

The correct syntax is:

<s:if test="hasPrivileg('user')  == true">Yeah</s:if>

I really would enjoy some more debugging help in this area

Cheers

Re: Creating menu bar based on session information

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> you could do something like this:
> <s:if test="hasPrivilege(#user.roles)">...</s:if> where (bool)
> hasPrivilege(List<Roles>,...) is a function in your action.

sounds good.

I actually have now that signature in an AbstractAction from which all
the other extend:

public boolean hasPrivileg(String role) { ... }

In my JSP:

<s:if test="hasPrivilege(\"user\")">Login</s:if>

I did not understand why you putted #user.roles in your example.

However, my debugger is never going int the hasPrivileg method. What
am I missing?

Cheers

Posted by Markus Demetz <ma...@demetz.eu>.
you could do something like this:
<s:if test="hasPrivilege(#user.roles)">...</s:if> where (bool)
hasPrivilege(List<Roles>,...) is a function in your action.

Markus