Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by Pieter Sheth-Voss <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/12 20:45:52 UTC

new user - why might cTAKES not recognize most of these concepts?

Learning the cTAKES user application.  Successfully downloaded,
installed and loaded the application and the separate vocabulary.
Copied the following example from the intro tutorial
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+3.0+User+Install+Guide)
and added a number of extra medical terms as a test.

It successfully parses using [Run->Run AggregatePlainTextProcessor].
But strangely it recognizes only a very few medical terms as Concepts
in
 [AnnotationIndex - > uima.tcas.Annotation ->
org.apache.ctakes.assertion.medfacts.types.Concept]

1.   "Hyperlipidemia"
2.  "Aspirin"
3. "Knee"
4.  "Pain"

It doesn't recognize "BMI", "Asthma", "Hypertension", "lupus",
"inflammatory arthritis", "TNF inhibitor", doxycycline, etc.

Why might that be?
Thanks!

Pieter Sheth-Voss, PhD

Dr. Nutritious

Medical Nutrition Therapy for Hyperlipidemia, Hypertension, Asthma and lupus.
Referral from: Julie Tester, RD, LD, CNSD
Phone contact: (555) 555-1212
Height: 144 cm Current Weight: 45 kg Date of current weight: 02-29-2001
Admit Weight: 53 kg BMI: 18 kg/m2
Diet: General
Daily Calorie needs (kcals): 1500 calories, assessed as HB + 20% for activity.
Daily Protein needs: 40 grams, assessed as 1.0 g/kg.
Pt has been on a 3-day calorie count and has had an average intake of
1100 calories.
She was instructed to drink 2-3 cans of liquid supplement to help
promote weight gain.
She agrees with the plan and has my number for further assessment. May
want a Resting
Metabolic Rate as well. She takes an aspirin a day for knee pain,
asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, headache, dizziness, and hyperlipidemia.
  Patient currently taking aspirin, acetaminophen, hydrocodone,
orencia, rituximab, and placebo.

A 35 y/o male with HLA B27-positive inflammatory arthritis with severe
acne, currently on Indocin and Arava, where the acne is not responding
to TNF inhibitor drugs, and has previously failed isotretinoin and
doxycycline.

Patient has asthma, currently taking albuterol and a leukotriene-inhibitor.

Re: new user - why might cTAKES not recognize most of these concepts?

Posted by Pieter Sheth-Voss <sh...@gmail.com>.
Incredible.  This system is simply amazing at identifying the clinical
terms in narrative descriptions.

RE: new user - why might cTAKES not recognize most of these concepts?

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
Yes, the section I pointed you at is in the developer instructions.
We'll need to get some of that copied over to the user instructions so people don't have to go to developer instructions in order to use their UMLS user ID and password.

I created JIRA item CTAKES-176 so this doesn't get forgotten.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CTAKES-176

-- James

Posted by Pieter Sheth-Voss <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.