Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2002/08/18 17:36:06 UTC

Re: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/utils DOM2Write r.java NSStack.java axisNLS.properties

Glen Daniels wrote:
> So much for them Java collection classes being efficient, eh? :)

Stack is synchronized.

My theory is that ArrayList is relatively efficient when amortized over
a number of requests, but our usage pattern was often to create an
ArrayList, add a single element to it, and then throw them both away.

If you take a look at the resulting code, you will see that it is not
noticably more complex than using the collection classes.  Arguably, it
is a bit less complex in many of the methods.

It also now has comments.  ;-)

> What kind of improvements are you seeing after changes like these, Sam?

I'm not running the test... but reportedly NSStack usage is relatively
low on small (one element) payloads, but grows exponentially on larger
payloads.  Before this change, in a 100 element payload, NSStack usage
grew to over 11% of the *ENTIRE* path length of a request (including
webSphere, the parser, etc).  Mostly in the serialization side.

- Sam Ruby