Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2019/01/28 19:05:35 UTC

What to do with features for EARs and EJBs?

Hi all,

Especially to Java/Jakarta EE people out there, e.g., Ivar, Josh, David, at
least -- please advise what should be done with the EAR and EJB support, as
described here:

https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/enterprise-cluster-integrated-into-apache

And, hurray, thanks Matthias especially, and Vikas, Arunava, Sarvesh, and
Reema, for a lot of work on relicensing, for getting the enterprise cluster
integrated!

Gj

Re: What to do with features for EARs and EJBs?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

> before we decide about the color of the bike shed, it would be great if
> we _first_ make sure, that it is still safe to use and works as
> expected. The cluster was only partially integrated and the jboss,
> wsit, wsitext, weblogic, wildfly and metro integrations are currently
> disabled.
>
> After that I would see, that it survives the next heavy weather, as in:
> What happens when java 11 meets JavaEE 6/7? I get some bad vibes there.

Agree completely, by the way.

There's quite a lot of work to do and would be great if several would pitch
in and try out the current daily build, you'll find problems, errors, etc.
No need to panic, just file issues and make them blockers if they're
related to Java EE since we need to focus on these for this release.

Gj

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Well, take a look at the blog entry -- if you were going to use Java EE,
you'd go to the Java EE category, and not find Java Web applications:

https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/enterprise-cluster-integrated-into-apache

But, since you use Maven, you'd go to the Maven category and not have this
problem.

Gj

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Tomas Poledny <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Bello <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 for ejb/ear support

Posted by Andreas Ernst <ae...@ae-online.de>.

Posted by Gaurav Gupta <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Of course, no one is suggesting that Java EE be removed. Read the blog
entry:

https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/enterprise-cluster-integrated-into-apache

By the way, I have set up the Java EE 8 AirHacks CDI demo by Adam Bien
inside NetBeans a few minutes ago, works perfectly.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Re: What to do with features for EARs and EJBs?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Feel free to add thoughts on this topic in the related PR:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1038

Gj

Posted by Ondro Mihályi <on...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alessandro,

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ondro,

Posted by David Heffelfinger <dh...@gmail.com>.
I agree that things get a bit confusing with the renaming of Java EE to
Jakarta EE. If this wasn't the case I wouldn't like any renaming at all. As
far as I can tell the current separation of "Java Web" and "Java EE" hasn't
caused any confusion among NetBeans users.

I'm not sure I like the words "Legacy" or "Vintage", as some may interpret
these as having negative connotations. There are still many projects out
there that use EAR files and EJBs. EJBs in particular suffer from the bad
rep EJB 2 had, where EJB 3 is a whole different beast, very easy and simple
to use. Moving EJBs to a "Legacy" or "Vintage" category may reinforce the
bad reputation from EJB 2. Additionally, I still see a fair amount of
projects using EAR Files (mostly maintenance of existing code).

I like Ondro's idea of using "Java Enterprise", which would cover both Java
EE and Jakarta EE.

http://ensode.net - A Guide to Java, Linux and Other Technology Topics
My Books: https://www.packtpub.com/books/info/authors/david-r-heffelfinger
<http://www.packtpub.com/authors/profiles/david-heffelfinger>
My Video Training:
http://www.packtpub.com/java-ee-development-with-netbeans-7/video
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ensode

Re: Re: What to do with features for EARs and EJBs?

Posted by Ondro Mihályi <on...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.