Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Steve <sb...@sebscape.com> on 2002/08/14 08:36:18 UTC

Is this an error? Trying to create a hypersonic db store

Hello all.

I am trying to setup James using HypersonicSQL as my db stores. I just downloaded james-2.1a1 in an attempt to start with the latest version (short of CVS).

I have
- modified my SAR-INF/config.xml so that all (I hope) mailets and stores use the db option.
- I have added hypersonic connection parameters to the <database-connections> section.
- I have updated the sqlResources.xml
    added dbMatcher for Hypersonic
    added sql's for hypersonic

James now starts up without reporting any errors.
I can use the telnet client to add and list users.
I can send emails to James, from james, and within james.

Once, when I was sending an email to myself, I noted the following in the run window:

C:\james-2.1a1\bin>run
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\james-2.1a1
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\james-2.1a1\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      c:\jdk1.3

Phoenix 4.0a4

James 2.1a1
Started POP3 Server plain:110
Started SMTP Server plain:25
Started NNTP Server plain:119
java.lang.RuntimeException: Did not find a record Mail1029306580132-2 in spool
        at org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCMailRepository.retrieve(JDBCMailR
epository.java:454)
        at org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.run(JamesSpoolManager.ja
va:205)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.ExecutableRunnable.execute(Ex
ecutableRunnable.java:47)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread
.java:80)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception while retrieving mail: Did not find a reco
rd Mail1029306580132-2 in spool
        at org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCMailRepository.retrieve(JDBCMailR
epository.java:494)
        at org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.run(JamesSpoolManager.ja
va:205)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.ExecutableRunnable.execute(Ex
ecutableRunnable.java:47)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread
.java:80)

However, I did receive the email. Is this a problem? In general, I want to test the setup. What tests would you suggest, and what logs should I look for?

Thanks!

Steve B.

PS - the JDBC How-To makes it sound like you have only to add info to the database-connections section. This may be a bit misleading as there are many places in the config.xml that need to be commented and uncommented. It may be worth listing them as when I eventually realized there were additional changes to be made, it took me a couple tries to find them all...just a suggestion.

RE: Is this an error? Trying to create a hypersonic db store

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
its is a "known issue", but james runs just fine despite throwing this
exception.

Re: (Followup) Is this an error? Trying to create a hypersonic db store

Posted by Steve <sb...@velos.com>.
Actually, there is no special changes made to the config.xml to support
the hypersonicSQL database. The step-3 I added for all the commented-
out sections are the same items which need to be changed for ANY
database. In the JDBC-HowTo, this step is omitted. Since it took so
much of my time, I added it to help others who might need it.

I would suggest, as you say, I send a patch for the sqlResources.xml. The
hypersonic <database-connection> could be added as a commented-out
section of the config.xml just as mysql and oracle examples are included.

Pardon my speaking out of school, but...
In earlier posts by others, it was suggested that database repositories were
suggested over file-system repositories. If hypersonic proves to be solid,
perhaps it should be the default configuration. (This is what the jetspeed
folks do).

Anyway, I will post patches for the committers to consider.

WRT testing, what are the suggested tests?

* so far I have tested (with and without attachments):
* james-account -- mailto --> james-account
* james-account -- mailto --> external-account
* external-account -- mailto --> james-account
* passed all tests at http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
* telnet adduser, listusers, countusers, addforwarding

** Note that although the addforwarding command worked in the
telnet session (as I see the users table updated apparently properly),
the mail does not actually get forwarded. I do not know yet if this is a
bug in my implementation or another unrelated issue.

Steve B.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.