Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Sudip Shekhawat <su...@hotmail.com> on 2003/12/10 01:50:20 UTC

Remote Deleivery Error

The mailet logs have such error entries.

09/12/03 17:02:45 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Could not connect to
SMTP host: SMTP-02.atlarge.net., port: 25, response: -1

09/12/03 17:02:45 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Temporary exception
delivering mail (Mail1071005923819-55-to-somedomain.com:
javax.mail.MessagingException: No mail server(s) available at this time.
        at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.deliver(RemoteDelivery.java:513)
        at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.run(RemoteDelivery.java:797)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

James retries to send such mails and after 3 retries stores it in the
deadletter folder.

SMTP-02.atlarge.net is our companies email service provider and we regularly
get emails through that domain.

Is there a difference in the way James handles SMTP protocol such that it is
not able to connect with SMTP-02.atlarge.net, or is it a configuration
issue?

Thanks
Sudip

RE: Remote Deleivery Error

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> RemoteDelivery: Could not connect to SMTP host: SMTP-02.atlarge.net.,
port: 25, response: -1

> Is there a difference in the way James handles SMTP protocol such that it
is
> not able to connect with SMTP-02.atlarge.net, or is it a configuration
> issue?

The SMTP transport is from JavaMail, and it does a pretty good job.   The
exception would be thrown in one of two cases:

  - IOException doing initial handshake
  - A response other than 220

Perhaps it is the configuration of that mail server.  If I attempt to
connect to that server, I do not get a 220.  I get hung up on immediately
without any error code, in violation of RFC 2821.

	--- Noel