Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Thomas Roth <th...@physik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2004/09/14 00:41:07 UTC

forrest run and syntax

Hi,
I've just encountered an error that makes life really hard: whatever is
running when I do 'forrest run', isn't checking the syntax as thoroughly
as 'forrest': I wrote a table with cells containing 'valign' and
'align': no problem for 'forrest run', invalid xml for  'forrest'
That's not nice, I don't want to wait  hours for every dot I add to my
webpages  :-(

Thomas

Thomas Roth
Technische Universität Darmstadt  -          Institut für Kernphysik
Schloßgartenstr. 9                -         64289 Darmstadt, Germany
phone: +49 6151 16 3472    - fax: +49 6151 16 6076
http://crunch.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de/~roth

Re: forrest run and syntax

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
David Crossley wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 08:41, Thomas Roth wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I've just encountered an error that makes life really hard: whatever is
>>running when I do 'forrest run', isn't checking the syntax as thoroughly
>>as 'forrest': I wrote a table with cells containing 'valign' and
>>'align': no problem for 'forrest run', invalid xml for  'forrest'
>>That's not nice, I don't want to wait  hours for every dot I add to my
>>webpages  :-(
>

> Re-using the answer that was recently sent to the dev list.
> Perhaps this deserves an FAQ ...
>
> I do 'forrest run' in one window and use 'forrest validate'
> in another window. Actually i often use 'xmllint' to validate
> just the xdoc that i am working on. That gives much faster
> turnaround.

Yes, we should definitely promote using XML validators/editors instead
of relying on forrest to do the validation.

It seems that the goal of Forrest validation is to make sure all the
input is clean enough to work with, not to help you write valid documents.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming

Re: forrest run and syntax