Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2014/05/30 14:28:19 UTC

specialpurpose in R13.07 demo

Hi,

For the R13.07 demo I think we should set an external property from trunk into specialpurpose for some (those which make sense) components.

I created this svn external property:

specialpurpose/assetmaint/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/assetmaint
specialpurpose/birt/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/birt
specialpurpose/cmssite/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/cmssite
specialpurpose/ebay/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/ebay
specialpurpose/ebaystore/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/ebaystore
specialpurpose/example/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/example
specialpurpose/exampleext/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/exampleext
specialpurpose/googlecheckout/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/googlecheckout
specialpurpose/lucene/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/lucene
specialpurpose/myportal/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/myportal
specialpurpose/projectmgr/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/projectmgr
specialpurpose/scrum/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/scrum
specialpurpose/webpos/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/specialpurpose/webpos

What do you think?

Jacques

Re: specialpurpose in R13.07 demo

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I was referring to "real" customers that are paying OFBiz contributors
like you, real money to get them set up using OFBiz.

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: specialpurpose in R13.07 demo

Posted by "Pierre @GMail" <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 23/10/2014 3:32 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Le 23/10/2014 19:52, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>> I don't think that I was implying that in the point that I was trying
>> to make.
>>
>> It is my theory that the way that this project deals with the
>> releases and the trunk is directly related to the fact that most of
>> the people involved have customers for whom they fork the OFBiz
>> system and deliver a forked version to which they apply patches and
>> improvements when they get applied to the trunk rather than using the
>> official release as a base for their deliverables.
>
> Actually I believe more and more OFBiz service providers rely on one
> of the release branches, less and less the trunk HEAD.

One would think that this would generate a lot of support for backporting.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by "Pierre @GMail" <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 23/10/2014 1:00 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Le 23/10/2014 18:04, Ron Wheeler a écrit :

>>> Actually the specialpurpose components are in the R13.07 demos
>>> because they can be there. But they are not maintained in the R13.07
>>> branch (but ecommerce) only in trunk.

>>> Would you prefer to not have the specialpurpose components in R13.07
>>> demo?

>>> They are, just that they use the branch instead of the packaged
>>> releases.  For R13.07 (current stable) there is an exception,
>>> because I thought it was better to have the specialpurpose
>>> components available. This is what Jacopo contests

>>> It's also, there are no official mention of the trunk demo, it's
>>> only a developers thing.

>>> We have no customers, only users
>>
>> The PMC members have the customers to whom I was referring.
>
> Please don't mix things. With "We" above I spoke on behalf of the
> OFBiz dev team (ie the committers).
> To state it clearly the <<Apache OFBiz project has no customers but
> only users>>
> You owe something to a customer, it's your client.
> The Apache OFBiz project does not owe anything to its users. You can
> speak around that, but it's a fact, only volunteers work is donated to
> this project. Nobody is paid directly by the ASF or the OFBiz project.
>
> I thought this was quite obvious for everyone (including Pierre which
> is questioning in 2 other emails)
>
> Now as you said indeed PMC members have customers. But that's another
> totally unrelated thing to me.

Sorry that I was not clear when I talked about "team" having customers.
I was referring to those on the PMC that make their living selling
forked versions of OFBiz to others.
It may not be true for all committers.

Ron

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

The best we have is this https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBTECH/Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies

> Is there a difference between "available" and "enabled" that would be clear to a new user?

Available in releases would be the components enabled in trunk.

> I don't understand the technical details but I gather that there is a potential for conflict between the components.
> Has there been any guidelines about how to describe the conflict issue to a system administrator so that modules are installed in the "right"
> sequence to end up with a working system?

See above, this might need update

> Has there been any discussion about how developers should construct components so that their potential for interference is reduced and is done in a
> consistent way.

There are many in MLs history. By and large, there can be dependencies between components of the same levels. You can't build an ERP, where things are
integrated, else.
Then, the bottom level being framework, then applications, then specialpurpose and finally hot-deploy, there should not be dependencies from a lower
level component to a higher level one.

> Are there hooks that allow administrators to configure sets of components to work the way that they should or to allow developers of components to
> write components that interact with the core functionality in a safe way?

One of the most important and interesting thing in OFBiz is the possibility for a functional component (ie the framework level does not count here) to
override things done at a lower level. This is how hot-deploy works. You can override things from applications level in hot-deploy. I say things
because it concerns most artefacts.

> For example, a way to allow a system administrator to chose between 2 data entry screens depending on what data needs to be collected( if you enable
> component B, then you need to use order-entry screen "B" rather than the core screen and if you do, the core order processing will still work where
> it does not require or track the extra data that screen "B" collects .

This is certainly doable but would need some code glue, ie it's not available OOTB.
Also I'm not sure that the component concept is well adapated here, since you speak about screen. The component is not an artefact in the sense of
OFBiz, rather a container.
https://demo-trunk-ofbiz.apache.org/webtools/control/ViewComponents
https://demo-trunk-ofbiz.apache.org/webtools/control/ArtifactInfo (be patient this takes much resources)

Jacques

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 24/10/2014 3:58 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Le 24/10/2014 00:02, Ron Wheeler a écrit :

>>> Actually the specialpurpose components are in the R13.07 demos
>>> because they can be there. But they are not maintained in the R13.07
>>> branch (but ecommerce) only in trunk.

>>> Would you prefer to not have the specialpurpose components in R13.07
>>> demo?
>>
>> If they are not in the 13.07.01 release it creates a bit of a
>> mismatch between the demo and what you actually get.
>> Otherwise I would have no problem.
>
> It's also Jacopo's opinion, I don't know  if it's for the same reason.
> My proposed alternative is to keep only the ones which will be enabled
> in the trunk and explain somewhere (on the site main page?) why we do
> that and how to do the same using svn external or direct check out
> from trunk.
> The idea is it's a bit didactic on how to use the specialpurpose
> components in future releases. Except if we change our POV and keep
> the enabled ones in releases in future, which could be even simpler...

Is there an architectural overview describing the relationship between
the core functionality and the "supported" components?
Is there a difference between "available" and "enabled" that would be
clear to a new user?

I don't understand the technical details but I gather that there is a
potential for conflict between the components.
Has there been any guidelines about how to describe the conflict issue
to a system administrator so that modules are installed in the "right"
sequence to end up with a working system?
Has there been any discussion about how developers should construct
components so that their potential for interference is reduced and is
done in a consistent way.
Are there hooks that allow administrators to configure sets of
components to work the way that they should or to allow developers of
components to write components that interact with the core functionality
in a safe way? For example, a way to allow a system administrator to

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 24/10/2014 6:52 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2014, at 9:58 AM, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess at some point the disabled specialpurpose components in trunk will end in Attic.
> Not necessarily: a disabled component could be a specialized version (e.g. for a specific industry or for a specific payment processor) of some of the application components and could be actively maintained; in this case it would make sense to disable it by default (because by default OFBiz should be as generic as possible) but still keep it in the trunk (and possibly in some releases, e.g. ofbiz-specialpurpose-13.07.03.zip).
>
> Jacopo

This is another area where sub-projects would help.
The software would be maintained in its own repo and would be supported
by an identifiable team that actually cared about it and would be
responsible for building the community to support that function.
There would be someone (or some people) able to say if it was going to
be ported to the latest release and bugs backported to previous releases.
If that sub-project died, it would be clear and everyone would know that
it was not going to be available as part of future OFBiz releases unless
some group took charge of the sub-project and did the work.

This structure would help everyone and increase the transparency around
the management of components.

Ron

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 30/09/2014 08:47, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> Also, since (by design) the specialpurpose components there could be incompatible components (i.e. specialpurpose/a causes side effects in specialpurpose/b), or alternative components (i.e. specialpurpose/a is a different implementation of the same features of specialpurpose/b) or components that override some of the screens published by the applications (i.e. specialpurpose/a replaces applications/a screen with a custom version), we should, by default, disable (most of) them and provide a README file with the information on how to enable them selectively.

I agree about the idea, but this applies only to releases or checked out code. Because there are no ways for users to enable/disable a component in
demos, moreover demos are shared.
So before this effort is accomplished it's better to run the R13.07 demo completed with the specialpurpose components also present in trunk demo.
Then we would put as external in R13.07 (and sequel releases) only the not (by default) disabled components in trunk, a bit convoluted though :/

A moment I even thought about Attic for some unmaintained components (ebaystore?, googlebase?, googlecheckout?, jetty?, webpos?, ...), WHO cares?

BTW I just noticed that we missed to adapt the ecommerce component in R13.07 for the missing ebaystore and googlecheckout components.
I guess it's only about checking in trunk HEAD code for these components presence and hidding their buttons when they would otherwise show. This
should be backported in R13.07 of course.

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.