Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/06/16 22:28:51 UTC

nt cleanup to do

I'm happy with how well this port went in.  It really isn't that ugly at
all, except in http_main.

I just did a bunch of cleanups... hope they aren't out of line.   Here's
some I haven't done, and I welcome others to do:

The various #if defined(__EMX__) || defined(WIN32) sections that are to
handle drive letters or other dos filesystem specifics should be changed
to something like #ifdef HAS_DOS_FS.

Document APACHE_TLS:  it's necessary on any data that is non-auto and
which is not static after config time or protected by a mutex.  i.e. most
static globals and true globals need this in modules.

create_mutex returns an error condition.  Test for it.  The non-NT
version now always returns a non-null pointer, in preparation for error
checking.

There are a few errno settings under NT that could be made into a macro
like ap_seterrno() to remove some more #ifdef WIN32s.

I'm scared at the code duplication between non-NT child_main and NT
child_main ... but that will be the concern of the NT maintainers, and
something that can be cleaned up in 2.0... it's too extensive for a quick
fix.

Regarding this comment:
/*
 * I am writing this stuff specifically for NT.
 * have pulled out a lot of the restart and
 * graceful restart stuff, because that is only
 * useful on Unix (not sure it even makes sense
 * in a multi-threaded env.
 */

Graceful is definately useful everywhere.  Otherwise you have to interrupt
connections in progress while restarting the server for a config change.

NT code needs to conform more closely to apache coding style.

Dean