Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/22 12:48:09 UTC

3.6 branching

Hello,

I propose for 3.6 that we don't create a release branch but just use
our branch_3x as the release branch. We can 'svn mv' it to
'lucene_solr_3_6' when the release is ready.

Normally we would branch and open up branch_3x as 3.7 for changes, but
from previous discussions we intend to release 4.0 next (and put 3.x
in maintenance mode).

As Hossman noted in his last email: we are doing some JIRA
reorganization etc to get things organized. Also related to this:
because we intend for this to be the last 3.x release, I want to make
sure people have a few more days to get their changes in.

New features are fine, of course bugfixes, tests, and docs, but since
we are trying to get things in shape I only ask a few extra things at
this stage:
* please ensure any new classes have at least one sentence as the class javadocs
* please ensure any new packages have a package.html with at least a
description of what the package is
* please ensure any added files have the apache license header

thoughts? objections?

--
lucidimagination.com

Re: 3.6 branching

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
+1. Keep it simple

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: 3.6 branching

Posted by Christian Moen <cm...@atilika.com>.
Robert,

I think this is a very good idea.  +1.

Christian
http://atilika.com

Re: 3.6 branching

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1, much easier.
Tommaso

RE: 3.6 branching

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Yeah, renaming the branch after release is a good idea. We should use the current 3.x branch to work on the release and there should be no 3.7 anymore. Techincally: branching 3.6 and deleting the branch_3x is not different in the sense of SVN to renaming (a rename is atomic copyadd + delete).

If we have major bugs in 3.6, we can still release 3.6.1, but this would be simply a new TAG in the 3.6 branch.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: 3.6 branching

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
+1, makes my life easier

Re: 3.6 branching

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.

> I propose for 3.6 that we don't create a release branch but just use
> our branch_3x as the release branch. We can 'svn mv' it to
> 'lucene_solr_3_6' when the release is ready.
>
> Normally we would branch and open up branch_3x as 3.7 for changes, but
> from previous discussions we intend to release 4.0 next (and put 3.x
> in maintenance mode).

+1 This fine with me.