Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ming Fai <mi...@hongkong.com> on 2001/09/28 02:09:13 UTC

Navigation template vs menu Portlet

Turbine Navigation (template) vs Jetspeed Portlet with MenuController

The following two points seems obvious:
1. If the menu is for navigating between Turbine screens, then it should be
in use Turbine navigation template.
2. If the menu is for navigating between cards of a Jetspeed Portlet , then
it should be in psml, creating a Jetspeed Portletwith MenuController.

When should I use each? Say, for this page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/catalog.html .
Should the navigation links at the left be a portlet or template? (it's a
case that when a link is clicked, the link remain in the same place but
content at the right hand side changes, in another word, it's a typical
navigation bar)
Should the links at the right be a portlet or template? (it's a case that
when a link is clicked, the link itself disappear and a new page come up.
Seems like a card behavior.)

Regards,
mingfai

Re: Navigation template vs menu Portlet

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Ming Fai,
The answer to your question is dictated by your requirements.  Below are
some thing to consider when answering that question.

Using a Template to define the navigation bar:
o Content is generate via VM or JSP, depending on the layout manager.
  Thus it can be dynamic, but I an not sure what information, like
  username or target URL, it can determine.
o Language support is standard
o Always in the same place in the portal
o User can not remove

Using a Portlet to define the navigation bar:
o Content can be dynamically generated using any portlet type.
o Language support must be handled in the Portlet.
o The Portlet must be placed on every portal in the same place.
o Nothing prevents the user from removing or moving the Portlet via the
customizer

Paul Spencer