Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by John Muehlhausen <jg...@jgm.org> on 2020/10/06 14:16:20 UTC

pyarrow vc++ redistributable?

"pip install pyarrow
If you encounter any importing issues of the pip wheels on Windows, you may
need to install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015."

http://arrow.apache.org/docs/python/install.html

Just now wading into the use of pyarrow on Windows.  Users are confused and
irritated that numpy and pandas work out of the box (pip, python 3.7.9,
Windows 10) but pyarrow requires this additional step.

Numpy is backed by C code, correct?  Is this pyarrow requirement due to the
use of C++?  Should there be a more descriptive error than "ImportError:
DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found." ?

Is there a way to install the redistributable with pip, in order to
maintain a consistent user experience?

Thanks,
John

Re: pyarrow vc++ redistributable?

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure. It's hard to detect which DLL is failing to load causing
the import error. It might be possible to write some kind of
"diagnostic" function to try to determine whether this particular
issue is causing the problem or something else (though to do this may
require an external tool like https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies).
See also ARROW-7078

Posted by John Muehlhausen <jg...@jgm.org>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.