Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Igal @ getRailo.org" <ig...@getrailo.org> on 2014/12/01 20:05:07 UTC

Re: Documentation on Connectors needs updating

Chris,

> 4. Tomcat can server static content just as quickly as httpd.

I remember that years ago it was recommended to front Tomcat with a web
server in order to serve static content.  I understand from your
statement that this is not the case anymore.

Were there any benchmark tests done for that?  Any published sources
that can be cited?

What about the overhead of session management for requests of static
content?  Is there any overhead there as opposed to using an http server?

Thanks,

Igal

Re: Documentation on Connectors needs updating

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@pivotal.io>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Igal @ getRailo.org <ig...@getrailo.org>
wrote:

> Chris,
>
> On 11/28/2014 6:26 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> > 4. Tomcat can server static content just as quickly as httpd.
>
> I remember that years ago it was recommended to front Tomcat with a web
> server in order to serve static content.  I understand from your
> statement that this is not the case anymore.
>
> Were there any benchmark tests done for that?  Any published sources
> that can be cited?

Pid and I did some benchmarks for a talk we gave at SpringOne this year.
Included in that are some basic tests serving up static files, NIO vs APR.
We didn't test Tomcat vs HTTPD though.

Results are on Github here.

https://github.com/dmikusa-pivotal/s12gx-2014-fastest-servlets/blob/master/LoadTestResults/Results.md

You can also run the tests yourself.  All the config and everything that
should be needed to set them up is in the Github project.

Dan

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.