Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/09/13 20:33:34 UTC

DynDNS.org -- Press Releases -- Free DNS for the Perl Community

FYI: Free DNS for the Perl Community
http://www.dyndns.org/news/releases/archives/2002/09/74.html

mixing 5.8.1 and 5.8.0

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
This may be a Win32-specific thing, or perhaps not, and may
be relevant now that perl-5.8.1 is released. Usually one
thinks there's binary compatibility between Perl subversions
(eg, 5.8.0 and 5.8.1). However, I've found if I build
mod_perl 2 on Win32 (as a dso) using 5.8.1, then it won't
load under perl-5.8.0. One reason for this may be that, in
modperl-2.0/src/modules/perl/mod_perl.c, a distinction is
made for 5.8.1 based on a new feature in 5.8.1 concerning
randomizing the order of hashes. In any case, if you upgrade
from 5.8.0 to 5.8.1, you may also have to rebuild mod_perl
and/or any xs-based related modules.

--
best regards,
randy kobes