Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Stuart D Jackson <st...@jhu.edu> on 2000/06/26 18:06:19 UTC

quick questions - Creating a DOM Tree in memory

I am having some problems using Xerces and I was hoping someone could help
me.  Here is an overview of what I am doing:  I am querying a database,
and I want to turn the results into a DOM tree in memory to use with XSL.
Here are my questions.

1) Is there a tool/class that will turn a ResultSet into a DOM?

2) I can set attribute values for an Element, but I cannot set the value
of the node.  In other words, I can get it to do:
<column attributeName="index"></column>
but I can't it to do:
<column>index</column>

3) To test the DOM, I am printing it out using an OutputFormat:

OutputFormat format = new OutputFormat( documnet1 );
format.setLineWidth(8192);
format.setPreserveSpace(true);
format.setIndent(4);
XMLSerializer ser = new XMLSerializer(System.out, format);
ser.serialize( domparser1.getDocument() );

The problem with this is that it does not print out any spaces or line
breaks between the elements:
<sql_result><column name="index"></column><column
name="val1"></column></sql_result>

instead of:

<sql_result>
    <column name="index"></column>
    <column name="val1"></column>
</sql_result>

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix these problems, I would really
appreciate it.  Thanks a lot.

-Stuart Jackson