Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> on 2011/01/26 16:00:11 UTC

Node going down when streaming data, what next?

I was moving a node and at some point it started streaming data to 2 other
nodes. Later, that node keeled over and let's assume I can't fix it for the
next 3 days and just want to move tokens on the remaining three to even out
and see if I can live with it.

But I can't do that! The node that was on the receiving end of the stream
refuses to move, because it's still "receiving".

What do I do?

Maxim

Re: Node going down when streaming data, what next?

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Just to check whats going on...

You have a dead node 'A', it's turned off and still showing up in the nodetool ring results for other nodes but the token field is empty. And you've tried running nodetool removetoken on any other node in the cluster. Is that correct ?

Can you include the the output of the nodetool ring command and the version you are using ?

Thanks
Aaron

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@digg.com>.
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM, buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> wrote:

> I can "remove token" to any other
> node, but -- the dead machine is going to hang around in my "ring" reports
> like a zombie.

If you "remove token" on the other nodes and the dead machine "hangs
around", that sounds like a bug? I haven't  necessarily been following
this particular thread, but "remove token" is supposed to.. remove..
tokens.. ?

=Rob

Re: Node going down when streaming data, what next?

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.
Sorry Aaron but this doesn't help. As I said, machine is dead, kaput,
finished. So I can't do "decommission". I can "remove token" to any other

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
nodetool remotetoken or nodetool decommission
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Removing_nodes_entirely

Hope that helps
Aaron

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.
Hello,

from what I know, you don't really have to restart "simultaneously",
although of course you don't want to wait.

I finally decided to use "removetoken" command to actually scratch out the
sickly node from the cluster. I'll bootstrap is later when it's fixed.

Re: Node going down when streaming data, what next?

Posted by Dan Hendry <da...@gmail.com>.
When this has happened to me, restarting the node you are trying to
move works. I can't remeber the exact conditions but I have also hade
to restart all nodes in the cluster simultaneously once or twice as
well.

I would love to know if there is a better way of doing it.

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.
Bump. I still don't know what is the best things to do, plz help.