Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rodney Richison <ro...@rcrcomputing.com> on 2003/01/05 21:49:23 UTC

[users@httpd] newbie cacheing proxy

Hi guys.  First of all I'm new to this list and new to apache. Although I've
been using sambar server for a number of years.

At home, I'm using a two-way satellite and ics to provide access to the
internet for multiple machines. I've a real need for a caching proxy server.
(The latency sucks)

I also thought it'd be a great chance to give apache a whirl. I installed
apache for windows and it went smoothly and is running on port 80. I then
have attempted to enable the caching proxy. When I put the information in a
client machine to surf (proxy 192.168.0.1 port 80)  I get the default
webpage apache has rather that passing the request to go to www.rcrnet.net

I know this has to be something simple to you guys, but I've battled it for
awhile and haven't resolve it.

Below is more info.
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
ProxyRequests On

<Proxy *>
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from all
</Proxy>

#
# Enable/disable the handling of HTTP/1.1 "Via:" headers.
# ("Full" adds the server version; "Block" removes all outgoing Via:
headers)
# Set to one of: Off | On | Full | Block
#
#ProxyVia On

#
# To enable the cache as well, edit and uncomment the following lines:
# (no cacheing without CacheRoot)
#
CacheRoot "P:/apache/Apache2/proxy"
CacheSize 5
CacheGcInterval 4
CacheMaxExpire 24
CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
CacheDefaultExpire 1
NoCache a-domain.com another-domain.edu joes.garage-sale.com

</IfModule>

Highest Regards
Rodney Richison
918-358-1111
www.rcrnet.net

Re: [users@httpd] newbie cacheing proxy

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Rodney Richison wrote:

>I get it. Ok, but what apache is returning is the default apache webpage
>screen which is not rcrnet. It's not retrieving content. So it seems to be
>caching, just not retrieving.  I'm stumped.

Please don't top post.  It's harder 'n hell to keep everything straight.
I realize you're using a legacy MUA but try to get that PoS configured
;) See:  http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Hmm.  I have not a clue.  When I tried http://www.rcrnet.net/, I got
rcrnet.  And a GodDamned pop-up.  Not nice, Rodney.  The only thing I
can suggest is to make sure the default page is not sitting in doc-root,
and go into your IE and clear all caches.  After that, I got nothing.

<snip>

>Rodney Richison wrote:
>
>>Just in case your not tired of my postings yet, here's some access.log when
>>I attempt to get on IE from a client.
>>
>>192.168.0.150 - - [05/Jan/2003:20:57:54 -0600] "GET http://www.rcrnet.net/
>>HTTP/1.0" 200 1494
>
>The machine residing at 192.168.0.150 asked for the (index)page at
>www.rcrnet.net and was sent 1494 bytes

<snip>
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---

Re: [users@httpd] newbie cacheing proxy

Posted by Kirk Jackson <ki...@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>.

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:06:46 -0600 "Rodney Richison" <ro...@rcrcomputing.com> wrote:
> I get it. Ok, but what apache is returning is the default apache webpage
> screen which is not rcrnet. It's not retrieving content. So it seems to be
> caching, just not retrieving.  I'm stumped.

Rodney,

To me, it sounds like the proxy is working correctly, it's just not retrieving the page from the right website.

If you log into the proxy machine, what IP address do you get for a 'host www.rcrnet.net' (or nslookup? What happens if you browse to that address using lynx?

Are 192.168.0.150 and 216.127.146.15 IP addresses for the same computer? Is it possible that the proxy is connecting via the wrong virtual host on your computer?

Check your hosts file to see if you've accidently added a local IP address for www.rcrnet.net instead of using the external IP address.

Kirk

Re: [users@httpd] newbie cacheing proxy

>Just in case your not tired of my postings yet, here's some access.log when
>I attempt to get on IE from a client.
>
>192.168.0.150 - - [05/Jan/2003:20:57:54 -0600] "GET http://www.rcrnet.net/
>HTTP/1.0" 200 1494

The machine residing at 192.168.0.150 asked for the (index)page at
www.rcrnet.net and was sent 1494 bytes

>192.168.0.150 - - [05/Jan/2003:20:57:54 -0600] "GET
>http://www.rcrnet.net/apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 304 0

The same machine then asked for apache_pb.gif residing on the doc root.
Apparently your IE or proxy caches images because the server replied
with the info (304) that there was no change since last requested.  Thus
0 bytes sent.

>192.168.0.150 - - [05/Jan/2003:20:57:54 -0600] "GET http://www.rcrnet.net/
>HTTP/1.0" 200 1494

A dupe of first line.

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Rodney Richison wrote:

>Just in case your not tired of my postings yet, here's some access.log when
>I attempt to get on IE from a client.
>
>192.168.0.150 - - [05/Jan/2003:20:57:54 -0600] "GET http://www.rcrnet.net/
>HTTP/1.0" 200 1494

The machine residing at 192.168.0.150 asked for the (index)page at
www.rcrnet.net and was sent 1494 bytes

>192.168.0.150 - - [05/Jan/2003:20:57:54 -0600] "GET
>http://www.rcrnet.net/apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 304 0

The same machine then asked for apache_pb.gif residing on the doc root.
Apparently your IE or proxy caches images because the server replied
with the info (304) that there was no change since last requested.  Thus
0 bytes sent.

>192.168.0.150 - - [05/Jan/2003:20:57:54 -0600] "GET http://www.rcrnet.net/
>HTTP/1.0" 200 1494

A dupe of first line.

Posted by Rodney Richison <ro...@rcrcomputing.com>.
Wonder if it could have anything to do with these. Although I see no
documentation that says it needs them.

#LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
#LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
#LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
#LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so

Highest Regards
Rodney Richison
918-358-1111
www.rcrnet.net