Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org> on 2008/03/03 21:36:17 UTC

Test case, shindig NOTICE file

I updated today the NOTICE file from shindig from:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/shindig/trunk/NOTICE?view=markup&pathrev=628639

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/shindig/trunk/NOTICE?view=markup&pathrev=633035

(or
http://github.com/sgala/apache-incubator-shindig/commit/8222e6fade196b203c94a3fbbd371a221ed7b88c )

I tried to follow http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html, but it
was somehow confusing to me. I looked, as a template, to a recent NOTICE
file of httpd or mod_python, can't remember exactly.

First, I used a line of dashes to separate, changelog like, the
different entries.

I modified the original reference to Google, as it didn't look good to
remove it completely, but...

I added a reference to a couple of MIT licensed files I *found* in the
codebase. I included the file names, as the typical "portions" is very
unclear.

I'm sending this here to:
* get feedback if what I did was off base
* if I made some mistake, correct it in the "/legal/src-headers.html"
document so as to have cleaner interpretation next time
* as I prepare this email, I think the original Google copyright notices
might be required to move here. See
http://github.com/sgala/apache-incubator-shindig/commit/ca95c2606006bbd4d3ce37827eb116b77ae486cd (620620), http://github.com/sgala/apache-incubator-shindig/commit/a08a8fc370821230aea42b17930d6b1257dbec6a (620616) and http://github.com/sgala/apache-incubator-shindig/commit/17e0d552a27d1d4822409dda68b9cc55716d386e (609753)
I don't have a clue about this.
* The original changes is documented here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-13
* even if it is deemed "right", I'd rewrite the page to show a typical
result page and reassure people changing license information.

How about this test case to try to debug the start of a NOTICE file when
a new project is starting incubation? I'm requesting an expert audit and
will send patches for the /legal/src-headers.html page or document in
the wiki as preferred.

Regards
--
Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/

Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> No, it is not correct.  Thank you for pointing out where the bad advice
> is coming from on our website.
>
> NOTICES is for mandatory attributions *only*.  The kind of things you
> expect to see in an About... box when required by the licensed component
> or by the CCLA or software grant.  It should not contain any horizontal
> rules (or anything else that isn't strictly necessary).

Ah thanks. That switched a light-bulb on for me, especially the
part about horizontal rules. NOTICE and LICENSE are intended to
be displayed by different means to make the user aware. We need
to make it easy for them, and don't interrupt their reading.

See ours at Forrest, where we have an explanation so that committers
and users know what the file means...
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/NOTICE.txt

The purpose of this NOTICE.txt file is to contain notices that are
required by the copyright owner and their license. Some of the
accompanying products have an attribution requirement, so see below.
Other accompanying products do not require attribution, so are not listed.

Is that okay? (I will remove the lines soon of course.)

Back to the revelation above via the "About... box" comment:

The LICENSE file has a similar need. Viewable in one place
by the user.

At Forrest we have an issue. We package many different supporting
products to make it easy for the user. We have a license file
next to each jar file using a naming convention *.license.txt
Each file is the copy that the supporting product provided.
They all do not impose conditions beyond Apache License 2.0

Knowing the requirement to append licenses to LICENSE.txt
i have added a listing of filenames (~85) to that file.
The next step is to develop a tool which can scan LICENSE.txt
and search the tree for license files. That way we could add the body
of each distinct license type and list which products use it.
The tool would report to our release manager if stuff was missing.
Otherwise it is very hard to manage.

A dream, but i might get there.

It urges me to use Ivy. Would that help to automate production
of a compound LICENSE.txt that the RM can add to the release.

-David

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Mar 10, 2008, at 9:06 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Sorry - the text snippet is missing the context - The whole notice
> file is:
>
>    Apache UIMA
>    Copyright 2006, 2008 The Apache Software Foundation
>
>    This product includes software developed at
>    The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
>    Portions of UIMA were originally developed by     International
> Business Machines Corporation and are
>    licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
>    "Software Grant License Agreement", informally known as the
>    "IBM UIMA License Agreement".
>
>    The following copyright notice(s) were affixed to portions of
> the code
>    with which this file is now or was at one time distributed
>    and are placed here unaltered.
>      Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>

> During a previous incubator release vote, a question came up about
> this.  I think the last part about copyright notice(s) was
> originally inserted in response to a reviewer on Jira https://
> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-332 stating:
>
>    Wasn't UIMA started with an initial code contribution? If so, I
> would
>    expect its NOTICE file to include some sort of attribution; see:
>    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt <http://
> www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt>
>
> The "attribution" is covered, I think, by the paragraph starting
> "Portions of UIMA were originally developed ...".  I think the
> suggestion to insert the original copyright notice was made at that
> time, so we did it.  But it seems to me it is not "required", and
> so should not be included.  I don't see it in  the few other
> projects I checked.

It is not required when the copyright owner is making the software
grant,
but they may request it as a way of maintaining "standing" in regards
to defending the code copyright in a court of law.  IIRC, IBM wanted
that.

What I would do is simplify the NOTICE to merely state the facts:

    Apache UIMA
    Copyright 2008 The Apache Software Foundation

    Portions of UIMA were originally developed by International Business
    Machines Corporation and licensed to The Apache Software Foundation.
    Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.

Note that this is fully descriptive and self-explanatory.  There is
no need to explain the history of "why" in a NOTICE.

....Roy

Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:35 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
>> We have in our notices file this:
>>
>> The following copyright notice(s) were affixed to portions of the code
>> with which this file is now or was at one time distributed
>> and are placed here unaltered.
>>
>> Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>>
>> From the above discussion, it would seem this should be removed,
>> because it is not "required".  Is this correct?
>
> I don't know.  The text certainly should be fixed, since we can't
> make sense of what the notice applies to now.  Why did it get there
> in the first place?
Sorry - the text snippet is missing the context - The whole notice file is:

    Apache UIMA
    Copyright 2006, 2008 The Apache Software Foundation

    Portions of UIMA were originally developed by
    International Business Machines Corporation and are
    licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
    "Software Grant License Agreement", informally known as the
    "IBM UIMA License Agreement".

    The following copyright notice(s) were affixed to portions of the code
    with which this file is now or was at one time distributed
    and are placed here unaltered.

    Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.  All rights reserved.

During a previous incubator release vote, a question came up about
this.  I think the last part about copyright notice(s) was originally
inserted in response to a reviewer on Jira
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-332 stating:

    Wasn't UIMA started with an initial code contribution? If so, I would
    expect its NOTICE file to include some sort of attribution; see:
    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
    http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt>

The "attribution" is covered, I think, by the paragraph starting
"Portions of UIMA were originally developed ...".  I think the
suggestion to insert the original copyright notice was made at that
time, so we did it.  But it seems to me it is not "required", and so
should not be included.  I don't see it in  the few other projects I
checked.

-Marshall

Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> No, it is not correct.  Thank you for pointing out where the bad advice
> is coming from on our website.
>
> NOTICES is for mandatory attributions *only*.  The kind of things you
> expect to see in an About... box when required by the licensed component
> or by the CCLA or software grant.  It should not contain any horizontal
> rules (or anything else that isn't strictly necessary).  The only bits
> that this one should contain are:
>
>    Apache Shindig
>    Copyright 2008 The Apache Software Foundation
>
>    This product includes software developed at
>    The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
>    This product includes software (Gadget Server, Gadget Container)
>    originally developed by Google Inc. (http://code.google.com/) and
>    licensed to the ASF as the initial contribution for Shindig.
>
> A "copyright notice" is the one line that says "Copyright YYYY ...".
> It does not include the copyright license header.  It should not be
> moved unless its movement is requested by the owner of the file.
>
> ....Roy

We have in our notices file this:

The following copyright notice(s) were affixed to portions of the code
with which this file is now or was at one time distributed
and are placed here unaltered.

Copyright (c) 2003, 2006 IBM Corporation.  All rights reserved.

 From the above discussion, it would seem this should be removed,
because it is not "required".  Is this correct?
-Marshall Schor

Re: Test case, shindig NOTICE file

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
Followup:

I have this patch ready for commit, that supposedly clears the problems,
adds a LICENSE file with the MIT license after the Apache one, and adds
the cryptographic notice due to shindig's use of jce for optional
encryption of contents:

http://github.com/sgala/apache-incubator-shindig/commit/dab981d48140c1292fbf66720c5501859b7c6ae2

I just wanted to check here, as I can easily amed the git commit, rebase
it as appropriate and dcommit it later.

is it right?

Separately I'll try to find the places to patch so that my (wrong)
assumption about notices can be cleared in the documentation, probably
using a similar example case (a MIT file included in a distribution),
and I'll patch the crypto page at the same time, as I need to check the
site module out.

Regards
Santiago

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>  > > a new project is starting incubation? I'm requesting an expert
>  > > audit and
>  > > will send patches for the /legal/src-headers.html page or document in
>  > > the wiki as preferred.
>  > >
>  > > Regards
>  > > --
>  > > Santiago Gala
>  > > http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > > DISCLAIMER: Discussions on this list are informational and educational
>  > > only.  Statements made on this list are not privileged, do not
>  > > constitute legal advice, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions
>  > > and policies of the ASF.  See <http://www.apache.org/licenses/> for
>  > > official ASF policies and documents.

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://lresende.blogspot.com/