Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Colm McCartan <co...@owl.co.uk> on 2001/06/01 15:10:06 UTC

Layout confusion

Hello all,

I've just built the newapp and started adapting it - first comment is that this
a great, highly usable framework and an impressive amouont of work and
documentation has gone into it - many thanks. I have a newbie question:

My problem is that when I try to debug why I'm not going to the correct
template, the logs show me that there is some odd activity going on even during
normal operation - see the snip below...

Why is the template looked for in /layouts, reported as missing and then
eventually found in /screens? My templates are in the
WEBAPP/templates/app/screens folder as per the documentation. I notice that this
happens with the newapp also. In all cases the site is behaving as expected
i.e. finding the screen required - its just that when I try to debug something
that *is* broken I don't know why the log has these errors...

Any help appreciated...

colm

---------- snip from velocity.log -------------------------------
Fri Jun 01 12:23:10 GMT+01:00 2001  [error] ResourceManager : unable to find
resource 'layouts/EditBook.vm' in any resource loader.
Fri Jun 01 12:23:10 GMT+01:00 2001   [info] ResourceManager : found
layouts/Default.vm with loader
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
Fri Jun 01 12:23:10 GMT+01:00 2001   [info] ResourceManager : found
screens/EditBook.vm with loader
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
Fri Jun 01 12:23:10 GMT+01:00 2001   [info] ResourceManager : found
screens/EditBook.vm with loader
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
Fri Jun 01 12:23:10 GMT+01:00 2001   [info] ResourceManager : found
layouts/Default.vm with loader

colm mccartan
panasonic owl uk
colmm@owl.co.uk
(44) 131 561 1035

Re: Layout confusion

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
Colm McCartan wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've just built the newapp and started adapting it - first comment is that this
> a great, highly usable framework and an impressive amouont of work and
> documentation has gone into it - many thanks. I have a newbie question:
>
> My problem is that when I try to debug why I'm not going to the correct
> template, the logs show me that there is some odd activity going on even during
> normal operation - see the snip below...
>
> Why is the template looked for in /layouts, reported as missing and then
> eventually found in /screens? My templates are in the
> WEBAPP/templates/app/screens folder as per the documentation. I notice that this
> happens with the newapp also. In all cases the site is behaving as expected
> i.e. finding the screen required - its just that when I try to debug something
> that *is* broken I don't know why the log has these errors...
>
> Any help appreciated...

This is a turbine specific question, don't post here with questions
relating to the TDK generated app.

What you are witnessing is the process of Turbine looking for
an appropriate layout template. Turbine often falls back to a default
layout template ... anyway this is very specific to Turbine.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org