Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Juha Laiho <Ju...@iki.fi> on 2005/01/27 13:58:59 UTC

Replacement for configureAndWatch (Log4j 1.3.0)?

I noticed that the upcoming Log4j 1.3.0 has marked the
DOMConfigurator class deprecated, naturally along with
all its methods.

I've been rather happy to have the configureAndWatch method
available, and after reading through a pile of Log4j javadocs,
couldn't find what should be used instead of configureAndWatch
to have Log4j configuration changed without restarting the
application (so, how to reload Log4j configuration)?
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

Re: Replacement for configureAndWatch (Log4j 1.3.0)?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
This can be managed using an interactive GUI such as that provided by a webapp.
configureAndWatch() is very bad to use in a J2EE environment because it spawns
a thread, and spawning threads in J2EE is a no no.  It can make webapp
reloading pretty haphazard.  There are a few webapp-based Log4j configuration
managers out there.  Some are open source and some are not.  The
logging-log4j-sandbox has a simple configuration management servlet you can
use.  I would avoid any watchdogs in a J2EE environment.

Jake