Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2003/11/11 01:01:37 UTC

RE: Bugzilla for Pluto

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > in the Pluto project we have decided to use Bugzilla.
>
> Do you think that you'll be willing to use the ASF's Jira when we have it
> ready for production use on nagoya?

I was trying to nudge things in that direction, rather than starting with
Bugzilla. However, I'm not a Pluto committer, just an interested observer.

I believe the thinking was that since Jetspeed 1 is using Bugzilla, it is
likely that Jetspeed 2 would also use that, and Pluto should use what it
uses. On the other hand, Scott Weaver indicated that he would be willing
to nudge Jetspeed 2 towards Jira instead.

I'm not quite sure where that leaves us. If Bugzilla is on the way out (is
it, or is that just an apparent trend?), it may not be such a good idea to
have projects adding new components there.

My 2 cents.

--
Martin Cooper

RE: Bugzilla for Pluto

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > > in the Pluto project we have decided to use Bugzilla.
> >
> > Do you think that you'll be willing to use the ASF's Jira when
> we have it
> > ready for production use on nagoya?
>
> I was trying to nudge things in that direction, rather than starting with
> Bugzilla. However, I'm not a Pluto committer, just an interested observer.
>
> I believe the thinking was that since Jetspeed 1 is using Bugzilla, it is
> likely that Jetspeed 2 would also use that, and Pluto should use what it
> uses. On the other hand, Scott Weaver indicated that he would be willing
> to nudge Jetspeed 2 towards Jira instead.

I think there were two reasons for bugzilla: a) it's used for jetspeed now
and b) it works *now*.
I had the perception, that Jira is today not usuable via the ASF, which
means it's not completly installed right now. This will change obviously,
and I think we are not against moving to Jira.
But I'm currenlty a little bit concerned about cross-references, which
means references between bugs of different projects. As long as all
projects used bugzilla, this was easy and of course supported by
bugzilla. But if some projects are using bugzilla and some are using
Jira (or anything else) we will loose that.

Carsten

RE: Bugzilla for Pluto

Posted by David DeWolf <da...@daviddewolf.com>.
I'm all for Jira, however, I'm curious how Scarab fits into the picture.
Nagoya.Apache.org seem to indicate that Scarab, not Jira, will replace
Bugzilla in the near future.  It reads:

"Scarab is an alternative Issue Tracking System and it will shortly replace
the current BugZilla installation."

Out of curiosity, can anyone reconcile these?

David

RE: Bugzilla for Pluto

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.