Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Laurent Comte <la...@oodrive.fr> on 2002/03/27 15:42:32 UTC

Who use Tomcat as a stand-alone server in production environment ?

I was very surprised to see how it's difficult to configure Tomcat with
Apache and for now : "I can't get no satisfaction ..."
But it seems to be very easy to install Tomcat and execute in "stand-alone"
mode ...

So I ask you : who use Tomcat as a stand-alone server in production
environment ? Why and why not ? Is it ok ?

Yes, I read this FAQ :
"What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Tomcat's built-in HTTP
server instead of, say, Apache?

Regarding Tomcat's disadvantages when used as a stand-alone server, here is
a list reproduced from the Tomcat-Apache HOWTO page:
Tomcat is not as fast as Apache when it comes to static pages.
Tomcat is not as configurable as Apache.
Tomcat is not as robust as Apache.

There are many sites with long time investment in certain web servers, for
example, sites that are using CGI scripts/Server API modules/perl/php. We
cannot assume that all of them will want to ditch this legacy.
The page further says that " For all these reasons it is recommended that
real world sites use an industrial strength web server, such as Apache, for
serving the static content of the site, and use Tomcat as a Servlet/JSP
add-on."
The main thing that Tomcat has going for it is that it the official
reference implementation of the Java Servlet 2.2 and JavaServer Pages 1.1
technologies developed under the Apache license by some of the best
developers around the world."

Thank you.
L.C.

RE: Who use Tomcat as a stand-alone server in production environment ?

Posted by Anthony Eden <ae...@signaturedomains.com>.
Here is my posting to the Java Developer Forum for JSSE which never received a response:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=2&thread=200414

In this I mention the JSSE FAQ which is here:

http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/FAQ.html

Check the last entry where it says: Runtime Exception: No Cipher Suites in Common

Sincerely,
Anthony Eden

Posted by Taavi Tiirik <ta...@ibs.ee>.
Anthony,

Posted by Anthony Eden <ae...@signaturedomains.com>.

jndi resource question

Posted by Daryn Nakhuda <da...@marinated.org>.
I have two different jndi resources I'm trying to setup in tomcat 4. The
first is a javax.sql.Datasource, the second is a
com.sun.forte4j.persistence.PersistenceManagerFactoryImpl.

1. The datasource works, but doesn't seem to be pooling. Any clues? what's
with this tyrex i keep reading about. :)

2. The PersistenceManagerFactoryImpl doesn't work. I get this error:
------
javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource instance
        at
org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:167)
        at
javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:311)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:835)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:181)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:822)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:181)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:822)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:181)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:822)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:194)
        at
org.apache.naming.SelectorContext.lookup(SelectorContext.java:183)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:354)
------

I don't know if I really need to set this up in jndi, or not, but I was
also having problems just creating it from the datasource, so I thought
I'd give it a try. My server.xml, web.xml, and code bits are below.

Thanks,

Daryn

Server.xml
----------
<Resource name="jdbc/sadb" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
        <ResourceParams name="jdbc/sadb">
                <parameter>
                        <name>driverClassName</name>
                        <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>driverName</name>
                        <value>jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/dbmail</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>user</name>
                        <value>foo</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>password</name>
                        <value>bar</value>
                </parameter>
        </ResourceParams>

<Resource name="jdo/sajdo" auth="Container" type="com.sun.forte4j.persistence.PersistenceM
anagerFactoryImpl"/>
        <ResourceParams name="jdo/sajdo">
                <parameter>
                        <name>ConnectionFactoryName</name>
                        <value>jdbc/sadb</value>
                </parameter>
        </ResourceParams>

-----------------------
web.xml
  <resource-ref>
    <res-ref-name>
      jdbc/sadb
    </res-ref-name>
    <res-type>
      javax.sql.DataSource
    </res-type>
    <res-auth>
      Container
    </res-auth>
  </resource-ref>
  <resource-ref>
    <res-ref-name>
      jdo/sajdo
    </res-ref-name>
    <res-type>
      com.sun.forte4j.persistence.PersistenceManagerFactoryImpl
    </res-type>
    <res-auth>
      Container
    </res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

---------------------

code (servlet that is loaded on startup, this is in init() )
---------

InitialContext initialContext = new InitialContext();

ds = (DataSource) initialContext.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/sadb");

pmf = (PersistenceManagerFactoryImpl) initialContext.lookup("java:comp/env/jdo/saj
do");

it chokes on the second line.

I've also tried

pmf = new PersistenceManagerFactoryImpl();
pmf.setConnectionFactoryName("java:comp/env/jdbc/sadb");

to no avail..

Problems with concurrent users accessing servlets on Apache1.3.22-Tomcat 4.0

Posted by Satish Mahankali <sa...@wipro.com>.
Hi,

  I have the following environment setup

  Apache 1.3.22, Tomcat 4.0, Connector:WARP, OS: Windows 2000

  Our JSP's/Servlets work perfectly fine when a single user is accessing the
same.

  For some reason when two or more users access our web site concurrently,
we get wierd results where an Internal Server Error with HTTP 500 - Page
Cannot be displayed is thrown back to the browser. Then I thought the
problem may be because of our servlets but then, put a sleep of 10 sec in
the example servlets of Tomcat4.0 (RequestInfoExample.java) and still
getting the same results with Tomcat example Servlets as well. The whole
setup seems to be behaving like where only one user can use the system at
the same time.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Here's the configuration:

APACHE: httpd.conf
==================
LoadModule webapp_module modules/mod_webapp.so
AddModule mod_webapp.c

NameVirtualHost ggnnok108220

WebAppConnection conn warp localhost:8008

<VirtualHost ggnnok108220:80>
serverName ggnnok108220
WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples/
</VirtualHost>

SSLMutex sem
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLSessionCache none

SSLLog logs/SSL.log
SSLLogLevel error

<VirtualHost ggnnok108220:443>
serverName ggnnok108220
#WebAppDeploy IPDC conn /IPDC/
WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples/
SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/test-ipdc.cert
SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/test-ipdc.key
</VirtualHost>

Tomcat: Server.xml configuration
================================

  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="false"
     acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

    <!-- Replace "localhost" with what your Apache "ServerName" is set
to -->
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="Apache" debug="0" appBase="webapps">

      <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->
              prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared
globally -->

    </Engine>

  </Service>

</Server>

Regards,
Satish.

Re: Who use Tomcat as a stand-alone server in production environment ?

Posted by Taavi Tiirik <ta...@ibs.ee>.

Posted by Anthony Eden <ae...@signaturedomains.com>.

Posted by todd tredeau <to...@wisernet.com>.