Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/03/13 22:18:03 UTC

OpenOffice Credits?

The "about" box in the dev snapshots says:

"Apache OpenOffice acknowledges all community members, especially
those mentioned at http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html"

But that page has not been updated.

Was this page just manually updated, or do we generate it from some data file?

What criteria do we use for inclusion?

Do we want to make a page for "legacy" contributors and then have the
main page be for "current" ones?

I'm not proposing any particular solution.  I'm just noting that the
current stale data probably pleases no few of us.

-Rob

Re: OpenOffice Credits?

Posted by Yuri Dario <mc...@mclink.it>.
> The "about" box in the dev snapshots says:

press Ctrl+S+D+T, you will get the list of contributors.

--
Bye,

	Yuri Dario

/*
 * OS/2 open source software
 * http://web.os2power.com/yuri
 * http://www.netlabs.org
*/

Re: OpenOffice Credits?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:52:43 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Raphael Bircher
> <rb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Am 13.03.12 22:18, schrieb Rob Weir:
> >> The "about" box in the dev snapshots says:
> >>
> >> "Apache OpenOffice acknowledges all community members,
> >> especially those mentioned at
> >> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html"
> >>
> >> But that page has not been updated.
> >>
> >> Was this page just manually updated, or do we generate it
> >> from some data file?
> >>
> >> What criteria do we use for inclusion?
> > As I know, this is only a list of people who field a SCA (Sun
> > Copyright Agreement) but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not there for
> > exemple.
> >>

> So what do we have for AOO?
>
> - We have a list of committers
>
> - We have another list of people who have signed ICLAs and
> indicated they were interested in AOO.
>
> - We have a list of everyone who has committed to Subversion.
> This is a subset of the committers.  Due to our use of
> Subversion, any patch by a 3rd party would need to be applied
> and committed via a committer.
>
> - We have a list of everyone who as contributed bug reports
>
> - We have a list of forum volunteers
>
> - We have a list of everyone who as contributed to maintaining
> the website, the wikis, etc., both project members and Apache
> Infra (and now Source Forge as well)
>
> - We have a list of everyone who subscribes or posts to the
> mailing lists
>
> So it takes a lot of people to make a project like this succeed.
> Listing them all would be great.  Trying to list them all, but
> failing, would risk offending those that we leave out.
>
> So I think my emerging preference is to list everyone, or to
> list no one, but make a generic statement thanking the "many
> volunteers who have made this release possible" or similar.
>
> -Rob
>

> >> Do we want to make a page for "legacy" contributors and then
> >> have the main page be for "current" ones?
> >>
> >> I'm not proposing any particular solution.  I'm just noting
> >> that the current stale data probably pleases no few of us.
> >>
> >> -Rob

A list of specific contributors will almost certainly _always_ be
wrong and need to much maintenance to maintain (even though
wrong!), so a general statement thanking the many who have
contributed to this project in any way seems most appropriate.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: OpenOffice Credits?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenOffice Credits?

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenOffice Credits?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03/13/2012 10:21 PM, schrieb Simon Phipps:

> On 13 Mar 2012, at 21:18, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> The "about" box in the dev snapshots says:
>>
>> "Apache OpenOffice acknowledges all community members, especially
>> those mentioned at http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html"
>>
>> But that page has not been updated.

Even when the SVN log no longer shows the old contributions, I think
I've updated the data last before the shutdown in April 2011.

The page shows 2011-11-15 which seem correct to me.

>> Was this page just manually updated, or do we generate it from some data file?

Manually.

>> What criteria do we use for inclusion?

Everybody who has contributed (I don't know of a more precise
explanation) to the project and wanted to see her/his name in the list.

>> Do we want to make a page for "legacy" contributors and then have the
>> main page be for "current" ones?

We haven't done any separation when the transition was done from Sun to
Oracle or when TDF/LO has started. So, we shouldn't begin with any splitup.

>> I'm not proposing any particular solution.  I'm just noting that the
>> current stale data probably pleases no few of us.
>
> Is the phrase still an appropriate thing to have there now the project is no longer controlled by Sun? As I recall its original purpose was to ensure it was not just the Sun developers who were acknowledged (the Sun logo was also prominently displayed).

The phrase in the credit dialog in AOO has changed already to mention
Apache. On the webpage there is nothing mentioned about Sun.

Marcus

Re: OpenOffice Credits?

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

No, the whole phrase:
> "Apache OpenOffice acknowledges all community members, especially
> those mentioned at http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html"

It seems odd for an Apache project to make this statement.

S.

Re: OpenOffice Credits?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenOffice Credits?