Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Gerry McDonough <gm...@odbs.com> on 2001/07/18 23:51:29 UTC

Netscape and UTF-8

When testing my application using Netscape Communicator 4.73 I noticed a strange flickering in the pages.  The page would initially load with all unprintable character boxes and would refresh with the desired text.  I think this is a function of the default encoding in the Transformer class which is streaming the response as UTF-8.  I added a line of code to override the default in Transformer using the call

transformer.setOutputProperty("encoding", "iso-8859-1");

and I no longer see the strange flickering.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is my diagnosis correct?  Is my solution correct?

Thanks, Gerry

Re: Netscape and UTF-8

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
Gerry --

I have seen similar behavior both in Netscape and IE.  You can also
change the encoding with an encoding attribute on an xsl:output element
in your stylesheet.  That way, you don't have to modify the java code in
each place that this happens.  Of course, you do need to modify each
stylesheet. :(

Gary