Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net> on 2011/09/26 16:38:58 UTC

Thread Number Best-Practice Guidance

After speaking with a number of folks using Karaf in real-world, operational
environments, there appears to be a growing concensus around the number of
non-core karaf threads a karaf container should manage to achieve full cpu
utilization.  From my discussions, this number appears to be between 30 and
40.  Can anyone say whether this is correct?

The number is based on a single core processor.  It is assumed that while
additional cpu cores may add to the number of threads a cpu can process, the
actual number is limited by the cpu architecture managing the additional
cores. As such, it is assumed that the optimal number of threads managed by
multi-core processors will not linearly scale with the number of cores.

-----
Mike Van
Mike Van's Open Source Technologies Blog

Re: Thread Number Best-Practice Guidance

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Mike,

in fact, it depends a lot of the use case.
I saw very different thread dumps depending if Karaf WebContainer is
enabled, etc.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to provide some kind of benchmarks per
kind of usage and clearly display it on the website.
I will raise a Jira for that (for me it's in the documentation area).

Regards
JB

On 09/26/2011 04:38 PM, mikevan wrote:
> After speaking with a number of folks using Karaf in real-world, operational
> environments, there appears to be a growing concensus around the number of
> non-core karaf threads a karaf container should manage to achieve full cpu
> utilization.  From my discussions, this number appears to be between 30 and
> 40.  Can anyone say whether this is correct?
>
> The number is based on a single core processor.  It is assumed that while
> additional cpu cores may add to the number of threads a cpu can process, the
> actual number is limited by the cpu architecture managing the additional
> cores. As such, it is assumed that the optimal number of threads managed by
> multi-core processors will not linearly scale with the number of cores.
>
> -----
> Mike Van
> Mike Van's Open Source Technologies Blog

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com