Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Yi He <YH...@objectspace.com> on 2000/07/29 01:10:32 UTC

Serialization of compound value

Suppose there is a Java object of class Employee that needs to be serialized
as a parameter in a SOAP call. The Employee class looks like this:

public class Employee
{
   int num;
   String name;
}

I seems to me that in order to have this object serialized, a special
Serializer/Deserializer that implements
"org.apache.soap.util.xml.Serializer/Deserializer" has to be coded for the
Employee class and registered with
"org.apache.soap.encoding.SOAPMappingRegistry". Correct me if I'm missing
something.

Is there a Java to XML mapping and XML to Java mapping standard for compound
values? For instance, all non transient fields of a Java object are mapped
to elements in a XML document and vice visa. Is XML-SOAP going to do this if
possible at all?

The answer implies if it is possible to serialize compound values in and
have it interoperable through SOAP spec regardless of the programming
language.

Comments?