Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es> on 2004/07/29 12:09:20 UTC

Eclipse plugin roadmap

Hello group, hello Ross,

I am keen to try out the eclipse plugin from Ross!

Is there a timeframe when we will have it in the scratchpath?

King regards
thorsten

Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>> I am keen to try out the eclipse plugin from Ross!
>>
>> Is there a timeframe when we will have it in the scratchpath?
>

> I just need to test it after the recent changes (I've removed all
> author tags, renamed the package structure and added the Apache
> license). I should get a half an our this afternoon (GMT) to commit.
>
> Ross

Nice, dude!

You just found a beta tester ;-). Will try it out this night.

cheers
thorsten

Re: CPL license and Apache (was Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> OK, I do have some code affected by this, but it doesn't
> need to be in 0.6, I'll find my answers at licensing.

I meant that we could go to licensing@ as a last resort.
We should try to deal with management issues here.

When the time comes, tell us the situation and we can take
it forward if need be.

Our PMC needs to ask infrastructure@ to remove the old ones.

--
David Crossley

Re: CPL license and Apache (was Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> The easiest solution is just to side-step the whole issue
> and make our own little icons, no matter how bad they are.
> Someone else will later create original and better ones.

Already done and committed, but as you point out there may be impact on
SVN history.

> We do need to understand the CPL in case there is ever
> something that we really do need to use. I would wait until
> we have a major situation, because then we can look for help
> from the licensing at apache dot org mail list. Also there
> will be soon more clear assistance from the ASF about
> compatible licenses.
>
> That is my advice for the current situation, but if people
> really want to do so, then we can explore further, though
> i would prefer to concentrate on our impending release.

OK, I do have some code affected by this, but it doesn't need to be in
0.6, I'll find my answers at licensing. However, this still doesn't

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: please completely remove some items from Forrest SVN

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Here is the answer from infrastructure. So in the future
people must be even more careful about commit.

--David

Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>I've removed the items now anyway. Thanks for the heads up.
>
> However they are still in the SVN history.
>
> Nicola Ken, do you know if we need to go in the back
> door and completely remove such things?

It must be done by infrastructure, and they have to keep history in
place anyway. BTW, I haven't checked if the license is *really*
incompatible.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>
> >>Blast! I forgot that one. They are derived from CPL licensed images in
> >>the eclipse project. This is a compatible license (as far as I
> >>understand it), but they should be licensed as such.
> >>
> >>However, I'll knock together another couple of logo's now and put them
> >>in instead.
> >>
> >>Thanks for spotting this.

That is why we are a team. We can all keep an eye on things.

Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>Thanks. However, i did raise one issue that you
>>>did not answer: What is the status of those icons?
>>>Who owns them? If we cannot say that they belong
>>>to us or come from some un-encumbered source, then
>>>they must not be committed to our repository.
>>
>>Blast! I forgot that one. They are derived from CPL licensed images in
>>the eclipse project. This is a compatible license (as far as I
>>understand it), but they should be licensed as such.
>>
>>However, I'll knock together another couple of logo's now and put them
>>in instead.
>>
>>Thanks for spotting this.
>>
>>Ross
>>

> See #12 at http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-cplfaq.html
>
> I think that means, unfortunately, we cannot incorporate anything from the
> CPL into our project.

Oh, OK.

I've removed the items now anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

> Also, you should add the Apache license to build.properties and plugin.xml
> also.

OK - done.

Ross

Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
http://csx.calvin.edu : student org

Re: Do'nt License Samples was: Eclipse plugin roadmap

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Nick Chalko wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>> Blast! I forgot that one. They are derived from CPL licensed images in
>> the eclipse project. This is a compatible license (as far as I
>> understand it), but they should be licensed as such.
>>
>> However, I'll knock together another couple of logo's now and put them
>> in instead.
>>
>> Thanks for spotting this.
>>
>> Ross
>>
> I think this highlights the reason to NOT license samples designed to be
> copied and by third parties, in the use of a product.
> For us that means that even thought Forrest is ASL 2,  all the files
> generated by "forrest site"  should not be licensed, and should be
> marked as such.

+1

> Hmm actually, come to think of it.  When you use the "PDE wizard in
> eclipse,  it creates a bunch of files, including the sample.gif."  and
> none of the generated files have a license notice. I think it is
> reasonable that the sample.gif is also not licensed.

This impacts on some other work I have. I'll check it out and report back.

Ross

Re: Don't License Samples

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>  > Perhaps we could say that the seed site is a form of
> > documentation and therefore we don't need it?
>
> Documentation is "licensed" too.
>
> But IMO a site seed is a creation of Forrest, and we do not license
> those. For example, if i make a site with Forrest, that site is not
> licensed by ASF! If I compile code with GCC, my program is not GPL!

So then the process of doing the 'forrest seed' would
need to strip the license from the source files, as it
copies them across.

--
David Crossley

Re: Don't License Samples

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: Don't License Samples

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Nick Chalko wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Nick Chalko wrote:
>>

>>> I think this highlights the reason to NOT license samples designed to
>>> be copied and by third parties, in the use of a product.
>>> For us that means that even thought Forrest is ASL 2,  all the files
>>> generated by "forrest site"  should not be licensed, and should be
>>> marked as such.
>>>

>> No, the Apache License is enabling. It does not restrict your use.
>> Its intention is to let you use the work as is and to build upon
>> it with your own work.
>>
>> What part of the License do you have trouble with.
>>
>> We cannot distribute our work unlicensed.
>>

> So walking though an example
> I am creating a new project.
> I do a "forrest seed"
> It generates for example  src/documentation/content./xdocs/index.xml
>
> If index.xml contains the ASL2 (which it does)  then I must leave it
> licensed that way.   Perhaps I am writing documentation that I don't
> want to be very restrictive of.  (Think company confidential)
>
> It seems to me that the ASL2 does not allow me to distribute DERIVATIVES
> without having the DERIVATIVE also ASL2 covered.
>
> The license reads in part
>
>    / You may add Your own copyright statement to Your modifications and
>    may provide additional or different license terms and conditions for
>    use, reproduction, or distribution of Your modifications, or for any
>    such Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use, reproduction,
>    and distribution of the Work otherwise complies with the conditions
>    stated in this License.
>    /
>
> This implies to me that I have to let others modify and distribute the
> documentation  I produce that is covered by the ASL2. This is not
> appropriate for some of the documentation work I do.
>
> Seems to me that  "forrest seed"   should produce files that says
> something like
>
>    /This file is generated with any warranties.  do what ever you want
>    with, including removing this notice./
>

> R,
> Nick

Well the ASF mandates that all source files need to have the license
header.  Perhaps we could say that the seed site is a form of

Re: Don't License Samples

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Nick Chalko wrote:

> >We cannot distribute our work unlicensed.

This is -non- negotiable; every bit and byte in a tarball downloaded from
apache comes under the ASL2 or, if the ASF got it from a third party, that
parties license.

> If index.xml contains the ASL2 (which it does)  then I must leave it
> licensed that way.   Perhaps I am writing documentation that I don't
> want to be very restrictive of.  (Think company confidential)

Please read the license carefully or work with a lawyer familiar with
your field; there are no (known) isuses with this. Lots of companies ship
proprietary modified versions of apache code (though they cannot claim
that it is the official apache code of course) in a confidental fashion.

Dw

Re: Don't License Samples

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

Re: Do'nt License Samples

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Blast! I forgot that one. They are derived from CPL licensed images in
> the eclipse project. This is a compatible license (as far as I
> understand it), but they should be licensed as such.
>
> However, I'll knock together another couple of logo's now and put them
> in instead.
>
> Thanks for spotting this.
>
> Ross

I think this highlights the reason to NOT license samples designed to be
copied and by third parties, in the use of a product.
For us that means that even thought Forrest is ASL 2,  all the files
generated by "forrest site"  should not be licensed, and should be
marked as such.

If IBM had done the same thing for there "sample.gif"  then we would not
have to waste are time with this.

Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Eclipse plugin roadmap