Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Philip V Ogren <Ph...@Colorado.EDU> on 2010/07/16 23:41:47 UTC

uimaFIT 1.0.0 released

We are pleased to announce the release of uimaFIT 1.0.0 - a library that
provides factories, injection, and testing utilities for UIMA.  The
following list highlights some of the features uimaFIT provides:

  * Factories: simplify instantiating UIMA components programmatically
without descriptor files.  For example, to instantiate an AnalysisEngine
a call like this could be made:
         AnalysisEngineFactory.createPrimitive(MyAEImpl.class,
myTypeSystem, paramName, paramValue)
  * Injection: handles the binding of configuration parameter values to
the corresponding member variables in the analysis engines and handles
the binding of external resources.  For example, to bind a configuration
parameter just annotate a member variable with @ConfigurationParameter.
Then add one line of code to your initialize method -
ConfigurationParameterInitializer.initialize(this, uimaContext).  This
is handled automatically if you extend the uimaFIT
JCasAnnotator_ImplBase class.
  * Testing: uimaFIT simplifies testing in a number of ways described in
the documentation.  By making it easy to instantiate your components
without descriptor files a large amount of difficult-to-maintain and
unnecessary XML can be eliminated from your test code.   This makes
tests easier to write and maintain.  Also, running components as a
pipeline can be accomplished with a method call like this:
SimplePipeline.runPipeline(reader, ae1, ..., aeN, consumer1, ... consumerN)

uimaFIT is licensed with Apache Software License 2.0 and is available
from Google Code at:

http://uimafit.googlecode.com
http://code.google.com/p/uimafit/wiki/Documentation

uimaFIT is available via Maven Central.  If you use maven for your build
environment, then you can add uimaFIT as a dependency to your pom.xml
file with the following:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.uimafit</groupId>
<artifactId>uimafit</artifactId>
<version>1.0.0</version>
</dependency>

uimaFIT is a collaborative effort between the Center for Computational
Pharmacology at the University of Colorado Denver, the Center for
Computational Language and Education Research at the University of
Colorado at Boulder, and the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing (UKP) Lab
at the Technische Universität Darmstadt.  uimaFIT is extensively used by
projects being developed by these groups.

The uimaFIT development team is:

Philip Ogren, University of Colorado, USA
Richard Eckart de Castilho, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany
Steven Bethard, Stanford University, USA

with contributions from Fabio Mancinelli, Chris Roeder, Philipp Wetzler,
and Torsten Zesch.

Please address questions to uimafit-users@googlegroups.com.  uimaFIT
requires Java 1.5 or higher and UIMA 2.3.0 or higher.

Re: uimaFIT 1.0.0 released

Posted by Philip Ogren <ph...@ogren.info>.
apologies for multiple postings to the list - I sent this message twice
from the wrong email account and then sent it again from the account
that is registered to this list.  my bad...