Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/01/20 21:51:01 UTC

guacamole RDP client-name

Hi,

Can the client-name RDP parameter be a concatenation of a fixed string and a random number, or better yet, the UNIX epoch?
eg. RDPclient_ 1579556750

Maybe even a combination of fixed string + something that identifies the session. eg client-name=RDP_${SESSIONID}.

Or simply: client-name=RDP_${GUAC_USERNAME}_${UNIX_EPOCH}

Vieri

Re: guacamole RDP client-name

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 On Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:33:39 PM GMT+1, Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Not sure what SESSIONID would be in this case, but both GUAC_DATE and GUAC_TIME tokens exist. Using both will give you a timestamp with second resolution.
>
> https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#parameter-tokens
>
> GUAC_CLIENT_ADDRESS might also be a reasonable choice.

I meant CONNECTION ID. In any case, it would be too long, and maybe it's created after the connection is established.
l believe there's a 15-char limit for CLIENTNAME. So GUAC_DATE + GUAC_TIME alone are 14 chars. Unix Epoch is 10 chars for now.
I guess I can use ${GUAC_CLIENT_HOSTNAME} alone for now and see what happens.

Thanks!

Re: guacamole RDP client-name

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, 14:10 Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> On Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:57:44 PM GMT+1, Mike Jumper <
> mjumper@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Or simply: client-name=RDP_${GUAC_USERNAME}_${UNIX_EPOCH}
> >
> > You can set it to whatever you like, but I assume you mean automatically?
> >
> > Can you describe why you are looking to do this?
>
> Yes, through provisioning. The variable ${GUAC_USERNAME} already exists,
> so I guess that should do. However, I don't believe there's any variable
> with a TIME, RANDOM or SESSIONID value.

Not sure what SESSIONID would be in this case, but both GUAC_DATE and
GUAC_TIME tokens exist. Using both will give you a timestamp with second
resolution.

https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#parameter-tokens

GUAC_CLIENT_ADDRESS might also be a reasonable choice.

- Mike

Re: guacamole RDP client-name

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:57:44 PM GMT+1, Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Or simply: client-name=RDP_${GUAC_USERNAME}_${UNIX_EPOCH}
>
> You can set it to whatever you like, but I assume you mean automatically?
>
> Can you describe why you are looking to do this?

Yes, through provisioning. The variable ${GUAC_USERNAME} already exists, so I guess that should do. However, I don't believe there's any variable with a TIME, RANDOM or SESSIONID value.

The reason for generating unique CLIENTNAMEs is for MS TS licensing purposes.

Re: guacamole RDP client-name

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.