Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Peter Minearo <Pe...@Reardencommerce.com> on 2010/11/12 20:06:08 UTC

Cloudera CDH3 install on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)

Not sure who or where to send this to, but this is for the Cloudera distribution of Hadoop:

I just tried to install CDH3 on my Ubuntu machine

> more /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS"

I got the following error:
> sudo apt-get install hadoop-0.20
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  hadoop-0.20: Depends: sun-java6-jre but it is not installable
               Depends: sun-java6-bin but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

I have Jave 1.6 installed:
> java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)

What I found was, in order to get the install to work properly; you have to do an extra step.   In Step #4 on https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Hadoop+Installation+%28CDH3%29  there is:

> apt-cache search hadoop
> sudo apt-get install hadoop-0.20

Between these 2 commands there are 2 other commands that are needed:
> echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/partner.list
> apt-get update

So, until Cloudera fixes the install (or documentation) in order to install the CDH3 on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) the steps should look like:

> apt-cache search hadoop
> echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/partner.list
> apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install hadoop-0.20

Does anyone know, if this is being looked at?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Cloudera CDH3 install on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)

Posted by rahul patodi <pa...@gmail.com>.
I have installed cloudera distribution for hadoop CDH3 on ubuntu
successfully in following 3 modes:
1. standalone mode   (
http://cloudera-tutorial.blogspot.com/2010/11/running-cloudera-in-standalone-mode.html
)
2. pseudo distributed mode   (
http://cloudera-tutorial.blogspot.com/2010/11/running-cloudera-in-pseudo-distributed.html
)
3. distributed mode   (
http://cloudera-tutorial.blogspot.com/2010/11/running-cloudera-in-distributed-mode.html
)

please follow respective links

regards
Rahul Patodi
http://cloudera-tutorial.blogspot.com
Impetus Infotech (India) Pvt. Ltd.

--
-Thanks and Regards,
Rahul Patodi

Re: Cloudera CDH3 install on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Peter,

This step is covered in the JDK installation page which is linked to
in the red "Important" section at the top of the installation page you
were looking at.

https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Java+Development+Kit+Installation

Thanks,
Eli