Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com> on 2007/04/03 02:07:22 UTC

1.3 - A Line in the Sand

At some point we can no longer ignore the decision about where 1.3
should go.

I am beginning to think that we should scale back 1.3 to be less of
the planned revolution and more of a substantial-update-but-
completely-backward compatible (to a point).

We can then step back and think way beyond 1.3 and come up with a new
vision for what we think is important in enterprise logging.

Firstly, what do people think of this idea?

Secondly, what do people think  is left to do before preparing for a
fully supported 1.3 release ?

Third, who in the dev community (not just committers) is prepared to
provide some effort in this regard.

cheers,

Paul

RE: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com>.

We currently use 1.3 Alpha-7 and it works pretty well for us, my preference as a user would be to clean up the current alpha for release as 1.3 or call it 2.0 if it is not binary compatible with the latest 1.2.14.

In general, I dislike "big bang" releases and favor instead release early, release often, a la XP.

Gary

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Paul Smith wrote:
> On 05/04/2007, at 6:51 AM, Jess Holle wrote:
>> I didn't know about the MDC treatment -- I'll have to look into that.
>>
>> Otherwise, I knew that #2 and #3 were covered by the existing
>> Chainsaw.  I just didn't want to give up any of that to get #1
>> covered -- and don't personally see any value in porting Chainsaw to
>> logback to achieve #1 either.  The information (also news to me) that
>> we're really close to being able to just have Chainsaw use log4j
>> 1.2.x just solidifies that opinion -- though I'd be happy with
>> Chainsaw based upon a stable 1.4.x log4j as well.  [We can debate
>> whether we could have a stable log4j 1.3.x and use that -- but at
>> this point it does not matter whether this is technically possible,
>> the 1.3.x stream has enough of a troubled history that a new version
>> # is really needed to clear the air if nothing else.]
> Jess, you can use Chainsaw to connect to applications using log4j1.2,
> seriously.  I do it all the time.  The _only_ thing that I appear to
> miss is that log4j1.2 binary serialization of LoggingEvents does not
> currently ship all the MDC value, so while the event appears fine
> inside Chainsaw, if you have juicy MDC values on an event, the MDC
> bits just don't appear.  This is, to me, a feature I think log4j1.2 is
> a must have because, really, IMHO, Context is what enterprise logging
> is all about ("No Log Line is an Island").
I actually use Chainsaw with our 1.2.x applications.

Yes, I *sorely* miss the MDC handling.

I'd also like a clearer message about log4j 1.3.x.  My downstream
customers will use Chainsaw, inevitably see log4j 1.3 alpha mentioned in
the jar downloads and ask why they're using alpha software (i.e. where's
the stable stuff) and/or why the rest of our product is using 1.2.x when
1.3.x is available.  [Hopefully the same person does not ask both
questions at the same time without seeing the contradiction.]

I also agree, however, that getting log4j 1.2.x to ship all the MDC
values is more important.  I also find this a really big gap.
> Now, the argument that Chainsaw is built on top of an alpha release is
> still sort of valid, but I think that's really a 'hidden' problem of
> Chainsaw, rather than anything that is restricting a user.  To the end
> user, they really shouldn't care as long as it works.
It's not entirely hidden -- it's actually rather visible as part of the
initial load.

Otherwise it's not much of a real problem, though -- the MDC gap is more
critical.

--
Jess Holle

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

RE: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

RE: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
One more clarification:

Chainsaw V2 uses log4j 1.3alpha internally because of log4j 1.3's support of receivers and new methods on LoggingEvent.

Chainsaw V2 can process events generated by -any- of the log4j 1.2 appenders, minus the limitations Paul mentioned re: serial incompatibility of LocationInfo and possibly MDC for log4j 1.2 SocketAppender.

Just wanted to make sure folks understood Chainsaw's log4j 1.3 dependencies are all internal, and you can use log4j 1.2 to generate events which can be processed in Chainsaw.

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 09:09 AM 4/3/2007, Paul Smith wrote:

>My somewhat superficial scan over logback shows a lot of promise from
>an end user point of view.  I would certainly be interested in
>exploring that as an option.  This is where licenses, politics and
>marketing all come to a head which are never fun.

:-)

>* Is bringing logback into Apache something the logback community
>would even remotely consider? Ceki, I know you're watching, do you
>think that it might obtain wider exposure by coming under the
>logging.apache.org banner?  Is that something that you've ever
>thought of?  I totally respect the community logback has already
>established.

Yes, I have given it some thought. Logback would
certainly gain wider exposure coming under the
l.a.o. banner. However, I am more interested in
the log4j developer community. Perhaps log4j
developers interested in log4j 2.0 could join
logback? Not the same level of exposure, but the
challenge and the fun is there.

>* Would the Apache dev community even consider looking at that sort
>of proposal?
>
>Apache log4j has a decent 'brand' behind it, and many people are
>familiar with it and support it, but we've become stagnant, and
>perhaps people are moving on.  The logback project, if 'absorbed' as
>a new log4j version could well gain bigger traction quickly purely
>because of that brand and revitalize logging.apache.org as a broader
>community (I'm thinking non-java languages here).      What we want
>is a healthy dev community, and right now I'm not sure we(log4j) have
>one.  Curt's been the only one doing anything recently.

Logback is advancing at a very nice pace. Any
absorption into Apache is likely to break some of
the momentum we currently have, albeit it is a possibility worth considering.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 11:34 PM 4/3/2007, Curt Arnold wrote:

>Unfortunately, log4j 1.3 development proceed for a substantial amount
>of time with little concern with compatibility with compatibility
>with log4j 1.2 and the primary developer of log4j 1.3 has left for
>other projects.  We are left trying to remedy the situation we are
>in.  There have definitely been incremental releases in the log4j
>1.2.x branch and may continue to be so, but the code is very dated
>and extremely difficult to modify without potential compatibility
>issues.

Little concern with compatibility, that is
certainly not correct. My concern is to produce
the best library possible within the constraints
imposed by the resources available. As such,
although important, backward compatibility is not
my ultimate yardstick. It is easy to qualify each
and every incompatible change as reckless.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 11:58 PM 4/3/2007, Jess Holle wrote:
>Cu

>For a 1.4.x or 2.0.x, I'm not so concerned about breaking extensions.
>
>I'm more concerned about breaking "application"
>code -- i.e. use of the logging APIs for logging
>and for configuration thereof, including
>sophisticated code that adds hierarchy
>listeners, uses logger repository selectors,
>etc, but not including custom appenders,
>layouts, etc.  I would hope that any really
>worthwhile extensions would be ported by someone
>and could be upgraded along with log4j as
>needed, whereas application code is unlikely to
>be so malleable.  I realize the distinction is
>somewhat arbitrary and I could understand some
>of the more sophisticated (weird?) application
>usages breaking as long as there was a suitable
>replacement for the old functionality that was
>broken in the process.  "Normal" usage of log4j
>APIs that most applications stick to should not be broken, however.

+1

Other than myself, I am unaware of anyone else
with the same opinion. Others may agree, but they
usually don't express it as clearly as above.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Curt Arnold wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Jess Holle wrote:
>> Largely I won't disagree.
>>
>> That said, I think there is a point to having a new log4j version
>> that is almost entirely API (source and binary) compatible with log4j
>> 1.2.14, but:
>> Has finer-grained synchronization and eliminates some possibilities
>> that currently exist for deadlocks, etc.
>> Uses modern JVM features to reduce scalability bottlenecks, etc.
>> I think log4j 1.2.14 is "as good as it gets" (or needs to) for JVMs
>> up to Java 1.4, but that there should be a compatible option that is
>> optimized for Java 5 and higher (or at least assumes good
>> ThreadLocal, etc, and takes advantage of these at a bare minimum).
>>
>> When I say "almost entirely" I mean API compatible wherever possible
>> while attaining item #1 above at least.  This may break some
>> extensions (3rd-party appenders, etc), but that seems like a
>> reasonable price to pay.  These can be updated (as long as what's
>> needed to do so is clearly spelled out) or those needing them can
>> stay at 1.2.14.
> Any rework that addressed the synchronization and scalability issues
> would almost certainly break the (largely implied) contracts that
> extension appenders, layouts, etc depend upon.  log4j 1.2.x made
> little or no attempts to control where log4j could be extended: very
> few classes if any are final and the implementation details are
> visible, and so anything but small feature additions can break some
> potential extension.  I would expect that any attempt to address the
> synchronization issues would abandon any attempt to be compatible with
> existing extensions but could provide a shim that could be used to
> emulate the "client" portions of the log4j 1.2.x API.
For a 1.4.x or 2.0.x, I'm not so concerned about breaking extensions.

I'm more concerned about breaking "application" code -- i.e. use of the
logging APIs for logging and for configuration thereof, including
sophisticated code that adds hierarchy listeners, uses logger repository
selectors, etc, but not including custom appenders, layouts, etc.  I
would hope that any really worthwhile extensions would be ported by
someone and could be upgraded along with log4j as needed, whereas
application code is unlikely to be so malleable.  I realize the
distinction is somewhat arbitrary and I could understand some of the
more sophisticated (weird?) application usages breaking as long as there
was a suitable replacement for the old functionality that was broken in
the process.  "Normal" usage of log4j APIs that most applications stick
to should not be broken, however.
> Use of ThreadLocal and other incremental improvements could be done in
> a log4j 1.x, but I don't know whether we'd want to do that as a 1.2.x
> or a log4j 1.4.
That's a good question.  Version #'s are cheap, so in this regard, I'd
suggest such increment improvements go into a 1.4.x, so no one gets
upset when they find that some new 1.2.x version is not compatible with
the same ancient JVMs as 1.2.14 was -- unless, of course, the given
incremental improvement does not break such compatibility (either
outright or by producing a behavioral/performance regression in such old
JVMs).
>> Why the insistence on API compatibility?  This would allow the vast
>> majority of developers to simply code for "log4j" and ignore 1.2.x
>> vs. 1.3.x or 2.0.x distinctions and thus avoids fracturing log4j's
>> mindshare.  Instead deployers could simply decide on the version of
>> log4j that best met their needs, e.g. old JVM compatible or not, etc.
> Not sure I'm following.  If a version implies compatibility with a
> previous version (only a minor revision in version number and same
> package names), then breaking existing clients that were perfectly
> legal and function with the earlier versions is extremely bad form.
> See http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Evolving_Java-based_APIs.
> Basically for log4j 2.0, I think that we are left with the "start over
> in a new package" approach.  However, we could provide shim with a
> emulation of a subset of the old API that could be used at the
> client's own risk.
In the case where one has something strictly insisting on log4j 1.2.x
(and breaking with 2.0.x) and something requiring 2.0.x that you want in
the same classloader, you're absolutely right, of course.  Do we feel
that this use case is likely?  If so, we should do as you say.

What I'm looking for is that the 90% usage case, i.e. most of the
methods of Logger, Level, and a few other critical classes, remain "as
is" -- that could be done via a "shim" as you put it.  One could provide
a shim.  If the key "90% case" APIs are kept "as is" except under a
different package name, then a simple mass replace could convert source
code and remove need for the shim.  The shim could still be useful for
interaction with old libraries to which you had no source (or no desire
to rebuild) in many cases, though -- i.e. many libraries wouldn't use
enough APIs or use log4j extensively enough to know the difference.

--
Jess Holle

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:03 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> We currently use 1.3 Alpha-7 and it works pretty well for us, my
> preference as a user would be to clean up the current alpha for
> release as 1.3 or call it 2.0 if it is not binary compatible with
> the latest 1.2.14.

Rebranding log4j 1.3 as log4j 2.0 and then having log4j 3.0 as the
designed for JDK 1.5+ and fine grained concurrency release was toyed
with a few years ago, but the consensus was that log4j could only
pull off one big API incompatible release and not two successive
ones.  Would be interesting to know what features you are using in
log4j 1.3 and whether they could be backported to log4j 1.2.

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Largely I won't disagree.

That said, I think there is a point to having a new log4j version that
is almost entirely API (source and binary) compatible with log4j 1.2.14,
but:

   1. Has finer-grained synchronization and eliminates some
      possibilities that currently exist for deadlocks, etc.
   2. Uses modern JVM features to reduce scalability bottlenecks, etc.

[...]

P.S. Okay, the ability to add a listener to a repository for log level
changes (as per log4j 1.3's last iterations) would be really nice.  I'm
not against added bits like this.

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

> I think it's been said before that 1.3 may be more of a dead end
> than anything else.  Some interesting things went into it, but the
> fact that it became so incompatible with Log4j-1.2.xx is a real
> problem.  Is it worth a release or do we just leave it as-is,
> forever alpha, and move on to 2.0?

 From a Chainsaw point of view a lot of work on creating good
Appender->Receiver stuff was done, and as I setup a decent
environment for our QA and Ops team to use Chainsaw through a
firewall (port forwarding) while our app is using log4j 1.2.14, I'm
beginning to see a dilemma.  serialized LoggingEvents from 1.2 just
don't contain lots of info coming out the other end.  I then asked
myself the question "Should we upgrade our app to use log4j 1.3", and
I honestly couldn't say what the quality was, hence the line-in-the-
sand email.

> [...]

point of view I think many of the Java 1.4+ network library, and
java.util.concurrent stuff could be well used in a new logging package.

> Do we want to "fully support" 1.3 or just move on?  Log4j-1.3 is
> much larger than 1.2 because of, among other things, Joran.  Joran
> in 1.3 was Ceki's brainchild and continued development of it has
> long since moved to Logback.  I'd be more comfortable letting
> Logback developers maintain the official version and use it instead
> of maintaining it ourselves.  I can't recall where I read it, but I
> believe it was stated that Joran could be used in other projects,
> separate from Logback.  Of course, then why not just use Logback?
> Unless people are truly prepared to put in the time to figure out
> what the future of Log4j should be (and implement it), I'm afraid
> that Log4j-1.2.xx is the end of the line, though I'm completely

What you say certainly seems possible.  If we're not careful, the
log4j project could dwindle into nothing (not that that's a problem,
just sad).

> >Third, who in the dev community (not just committers) is prepared to
> >provide some effort in this regard.
> >

> That's the perennial problem, isn't it?

Indeed.

Paul

RE: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com>.

I agree, typing a logging API to Object make sense. Our applications now count on this behavior and implement toString() methods as appropriate. IMO, it would be a step backwards for force a data type, String in this case, when it is not needed, especially considering that toString() is implemented in Object.

Gary

RE: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
I agree - the ability to log objects instead of strings only provides some capabilities which aren't available otherwise - filters are an example (see reflectionfilter & mapfilter in 1.3alpha).

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 06:51 AM 4/4/2007, Jacob Kjome wrote:

>Yes, I've found the "drop log4j for logback"
>stuff from Ceki a bit disheartening.  Well,
>actually I found the whole sudden split from
>Log4j after a vote that didn't go his way a bit
>disheartening.  I think the vote went the
>correct way, but I wish we could have avoided the fallout.

For me, starting a new project was a lot worse
than just "disheartening". The SLF4J vote was
just the straw that broke the camel's back. After
putting many many hours of work into log4j, it
became increasingly painful to waste time in
arguments, where opinions got asserted by the one
writing the longest email. Not fun.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 12:51 PM 4/3/2007, you wrote:

 >On Apr 2, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
 >
 >log4j 1.3 in my opinion is stuck in a hopeless position.  It is too
 >incompatible with log4j 1.2.x to ever be recommended as a drop-in
 >replacement for log4j 1.2 in a production environment.  However, if
 >you changed log4j 1.3 to be drop-in compatible with log4j 1.2, then
 >you would break any apps that had depended on its 1.3-ness.

Well said.  Plus, I think supporting stuff like Joran and other new
stuff that was never given full attention, because active development
stopped abruptly, is risky.  A release is expected to be
supported.  People expect non-alpha/beta code to work properly.  I'm
not sure we can promise that it will work properly?  If we can't
support it, we can't release it.

 >> Secondly, what do people think  is left to do before preparing for
 >> a fully supported 1.3 release ?
 >>

 >There are still API incompatibilities (http://people.apache.org/
 >~carnold/compatibility.html), particularly any user extensions of
 >DOMConfigurator (bug 39024) would not work with log4j 1.3.
 >LoggingEvent is not serialization compatible (bug 35159).
 >LoggingEvent.sequenceNumber can't achieve what it thought it could
 >achieve and should be removed (bug 36555, maybe others).  The Gump
 >runs have been failing for over a year on the scheduler code behind
 >the reworked configureAndWatch methods.  Mark Womack threw a quite a
 >bit of time on that and could not get it diagnosed.   And if you
 >fixed all that, you would still break apps that didn't explicitly
 >call activateOptions(), it would not address the fundamental
 >concurrency problems and would still target early JDK's.

Again, how can we promise it will work when we know of stuff like this?

 >On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:10 AM, Jacob Kjome wrote:
 >>
 >> I think it's been said before that 1.3 may be more of a dead end
 >> than anything else.  Some interesting things went into it, but the
 >> fact that it became so incompatible with Log4j-1.2.xx is a real
 >> problem.  Is it worth a release or do we just leave it as-is,
 >> forever alpha, and move on to 2.0?
 >
 >I think forever alpha and move on to 2.0.

I think this might have to be the way.  Those using Log4j-1.3 for its
"1.3ness" can continue to use it, albeit in alpha state, and if
someone from the Log4j team wants to make further alpha releases,
that's just fine.  But I think it's probably going to have to be left
at that; forever alpha.

 >> >We can then step back and think way beyond 1.3 and come up with a new
 >> >vision for what we think is important in enterprise logging.
 >> >
 >> >Firstly, what do people think of this idea?
 >> >

 >> As long as we're considering things that have been ignored for a
 >> while, what is our official take on Logback?  It's basically a
 >> realization of what Log4j-1.3 was supposed to be, no?
 >
 >I've been hesitant to deeply examine logback as its code is LGPL'd
 >and would want to avoid leakage of logback code into log4j.

Good point.  I hadn't thought of that.

 >  We have
 >a bit of a marketing disadvantage here as Ceki has been very vocal on
 >the mailing lists encouraging people to migrate to logback and saying
 >that log4j development is dead (I'd agree that it hasn't been healthy
 >recently, but we've never decided that it is dead).  I'm also a bit
 >of a lightning rod for Ceki and think any evaluation of logback would
 >be better coming from someone else.

Yes, I've found the "drop log4j for logback" stuff from Ceki a bit
disheartening.  Well, actually I found the whole sudden split from
Log4j after a vote that didn't go his way a bit disheartening.  I
think the vote went the correct way, but I wish we could have avoided
the fallout.

 >> Do we really have plans to best it as Log4j-2.0?  I'm not saying we
 >> don't.  I'm just asking the question.
 >
 >logback is always going to be a better logback than log4j 2.0 and
 >likely a better log4j 1.3 than log4j 2.0.  However, I think that the
 >design goals and approaches envisioned for log4j 2.0 will result in
 >something valuable to the community.

Well put.

 >> And what are we going to do about SLF4J?  It's gained significant
 >> acceptance and we've punted on how we are going to approach it;
 >> implement it directly, write a wrapper for it (actually, this has
 >> already been done by the SLF4J team), or ignore it altogether.  So
 >> far, we've chosen the latter as the path of least resistance.
 >>

 > From a packaging and maintenance perspective, it has always been
 >preferable that SLF4J be a wrapper over log4j.  There were never any
 >benchmarks provided to quantify the supposed performance benefit of a
 >direct implementation.  If I remember correctly, supporting SLF4J
 >directly introduced a breaking API change when code was recompiled.
 >I think the current state is the best for the community.  log4j 1.2
 >users who want to use SLF4J can do so without forcing them to update
 >their log4j 1.2 version and log4j does not have a dependency on SLF4J.

...And we don't have to maintain the SLF4J stuff.  The only problem
is that repository selectors won't work when using SLF4J wrappers,
but will work using a direct implementation, such as Logback.  See...

http://marc.info/?l=slf4j-user&m=117433071915577&w=2

 >> >Secondly, what do people think  is left to do before preparing for a
 >> >fully supported 1.3 release ?
 >> >

 >> Do we want to "fully support" 1.3 or just move on?  Log4j-1.3 is
 >> much larger than 1.2 because of, among other things, Joran.  Joran
 >> in 1.3 was Ceki's brainchild and continued development of it has
 >> long since moved to Logback.  I'd be more comfortable letting
 >> Logback developers maintain the official version and use it instead
 >> of maintaining it ourselves.  I can't recall where I read it, but I
 >> believe it was stated that Joran could be used in other projects,
 >> separate from Logback.  Of course, then why not just use Logback?
 >> Unless people are truly prepared to put in the time to figure out
 >> what the future of Log4j should be (and implement it), I'm afraid
 >> that Log4j-1.2.xx is the end of the line, though I'm completely
 >> open to being proved wrong.
 >
 >Joran is not the only configuration processor in existence, there are
 >likely several in ASF alone (http://ws.apache.org/synapse/
 >Synapse_Configuration_Language.html for example).  I'd see log4j 2.0
 >primarily configured by JMX and expose a configuration API that could
 >be driven by a log4j 1.2 compatible property and dom configurators
 >and something like the strictxml configurator.

If 1.3 is to be released, I think it should be without Joran.  Either
enhance DOMConfigurator or use an alternative.  Maintaining an early
cut of Joran is not a good idea.  Of course, no need to bother if 1.3
stays alpha.  2.0 most certainly shouldn't use Joran.  Any chosen
configuration mechanism should keep bloat to a minimum and, maybe, be
optional.  Log4j.jar is too big as it is.

I'd forgotten about strictxml.  A quick Google search brought up...

http://marc.info/?l=apache-logging-general&m=113981617314339&w=2

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/sandbox/strictxml

Interesting stuff!

 >On Apr 3, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
 >>>
 >>> I think it's been said before that 1.3 may be more of a dead end
 >>> than anything else.  Some interesting things went into it, but the
 >>> fact that it became so incompatible with Log4j-1.2.xx is a real
 >>> problem.  Is it worth a release or do we just leave it as-is,
 >>> forever alpha, and move on to 2.0?
 >>>

 >> From a Chainsaw point of view a lot of work on creating good
 >> Appender->Receiver stuff was done, and as I setup a decent
 >> environment for our QA and Ops team to use Chainsaw through a
 >> firewall (port forwarding) while our app is using log4j 1.2.14, I'm
 >> beginning to see a dilemma.  serialized LoggingEvents from 1.2 just
 >> don't contain lots of info coming out the other end.  I then asked
 >> myself the question "Should we upgrade our app to use log4j 1.3",
 >> and I honestly couldn't say what the quality was, hence the line-in-
 >> the-sand email.
 >
 >I'd love to hear (in a different thread) what would need to be back-
 >ported to log4j 1.2.x to move Chainsaw back over it.

A good goal indeed.

Jake

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 07:51 PM 4/3/2007, Curt Arnold wrote:

>There are still API incompatibilities
>(http://people.apache.org/
>~carnold/compatibility.html), particularly any user extensions of
>DOMConfigurator (bug 39024) would not work with log4j 1.3.
>LoggingEvent is not serialization compatible (bug 35159).
>LoggingEvent.sequenceNumber can't achieve what it thought it could
>achieve and should be removed (bug 36555, maybe others).  The Gump
>runs have been failing for over a year on the scheduler code behind
>the reworked configureAndWatch methods.  Mark Womack threw a quite a
>bit of time on that and could not get it diagnosed.   And if you
>fixed all that, you would still break apps that didn't explicitly
>call activateOptions(), it would not address the fundamental
>concurrency problems and would still target early JDK's.

The problems you mention are really minor.

[snip]

>I've been hesitant to deeply examine logback as its code is LGPL'd
>and would want to avoid leakage of logback code into log4j.  We have
>a bit of a marketing disadvantage here as Ceki has been very vocal on
>the mailing lists encouraging people to migrate to logback and saying
>that log4j development is dead (I'd agree that it hasn't been healthy
>recently, but we've never decided that it is dead).  I'm also a bit
>of a lightning rod for Ceki and think any evaluation of logback would
>be better coming from someone else.

It's quite ironic that you should feel at "a
marketing disadvantage". While it is true that I
mention logback as a successor to log4j, I do so
occasionally. Moreover, I've extremely careful to
refer to log4j as "not actively developed", a
characterization, which as other log4j developers, you seem to agree with.

>>Do we really have plans to best it as Log4j-2.0?  I'm not saying we
>>don't.  I'm just asking the question.
>
>logback is always going to be a better logback than log4j 2.0 and
>likely a better log4j 1.3 than log4j 2.0.  However, I think that the
>design goals and approaches envisioned for log4j 2.0 will result in
>something valuable to the community.
>
>>And what are we going to do about SLF4J?  It's gained significant
>>acceptance and we've punted on how we are going to approach it;
>>implement it directly, write a wrapper for it (actually, this has
>>already been done by the SLF4J team), or ignore it altogether.  So
>>far, we've chosen the latter as the path of least resistance.
>
> From a packaging and maintenance perspective, it has always been
>preferable that SLF4J be a wrapper over log4j.  There were never any
>benchmarks provided to quantify the supposed performance benefit of a
>direct implementation.  If I remember correctly, supporting SLF4J
>directly introduced a breaking API change when code was recompiled.
>I think the current state is the best for the community.  log4j 1.2
>users who want to use SLF4J can do so without forcing them to update
>their log4j 1.2 version and log4j does not have a dependency on SLF4J.

The original version of UGLI and than SLF4J was
designed to be compatible with log4j.

[snip]

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

> log4j 1.3 in my opinion is stuck in a hopeless position.  It is too
> incompatible with log4j 1.2.x to ever be recommended as a drop-in
> replacement for log4j 1.2 in a production environment.  However, if
> you changed log4j 1.3 to be drop-in compatible with log4j 1.2, then
> you would break any apps that had depended on its 1.3-ness.

Well, I don't think we are ever required to support anything built
upon an 'alpha' version of log4j1.3.  Anyone who has decided to base
some changes on an alpha quality release knew the risks.  There was
never a guarantee 1.3.x wasn't a moving target.  Having said that,
I'm not completely concerned about leaving 1.3 as a dead end and
moving one.  I'd just like to get the dev community fired up and
moving in _some_ direction.. :)

> Elias Ross appeared to be motivated to push log4j 1.3 forward and
> while I did not think it was where I thought my time was best spent
> (and I've spent a huge amount of time killing off
> incompatibilities), I was willing to let him prove me wrong and the
> PMC granted him commit privileges.  Unfortunately, he did a bug fix
> spurt and then disappeared.

I honestly don't know what happened there.  It was odd, no question.

>> From a Chainsaw point of view a lot of work on creating good
>> Appender->Receiver stuff was done, and as I setup a decent
>> environment for our QA and Ops team to use Chainsaw through a
>> firewall (port forwarding) while our app is using log4j 1.2.14,
>> I'm beginning to see a dilemma.  serialized LoggingEvents from 1.2
>> just don't contain lots of info coming out the other end.  I then
>> asked myself the question "Should we upgrade our app to use log4j
>> 1.3", and I honestly couldn't say what the quality was, hence the
>> line-in-the-sand email.
>
> I'd love to hear (in a different thread) what would need to be back-
> ported to log4j 1.2.x to move Chainsaw back over it.

Mostly LoggingEvent stuff, I'll do a diff of 1.2-> 1.3 for further
discussions in another thread.  It's mainly MDC that is missing I
think.  Scott can you remember any context here? (The diff will tell
I think)

Paul

Re: 1.3 - A Line in the Sand

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
> [...]

recently, but we've never decided that it is dead).  I'm also a bit
of a lightning rod for Ceki and think any evaluation of logback would
be better coming from someone else.

> Do we really have plans to best it as Log4j-2.0?  I'm not saying we
> don't.  I'm just asking the question.

logback is always going to be a better logback than log4j 2.0 and
likely a better log4j 1.3 than log4j 2.0.  However, I think that the
design goals and approaches envisioned for log4j 2.0 will result in
something valuable to the community.

> And what are we going to do about SLF4J?  It's gained significant
> acceptance and we've punted on how we are going to approach it;
> implement it directly, write a wrapper for it (actually, this has
> already been done by the SLF4J team), or ignore it altogether.  So
> far, we've chosen the latter as the path of least resistance.

 From a packaging and maintenance perspective, it has always been
> [...]

>> wrapper for it (actually, this has already been done by the SLF4J
>> team), or ignore it altogether.  So far, we've chosen the latter
>> as the path of least resistance.
>>

> My somewhat superficial scan over logback shows a lot of promise
> from an end user point of view.  I would certainly be interested in
> exploring that as an option.  This is where licenses, politics and
> marketing all come to a head which are never fun.
>
> * Is bringing logback into Apache something the logback community
> would even remotely consider? Ceki, I know you're watching, do you
> think that it might obtain wider exposure by coming under the
> logging.apache.org banner?  Is that something that you've ever
> thought of?  I totally respect the community logback has already
> established.
>
> * Would the Apache dev community even consider looking at that sort

I think offering logback with a double license (LGPL and ASL) would
be beneficial.  Ceki spun off the SLF4J effort since he thought he
would be more effective outside of the ASF and the overhead of
community development and governance.  I haven't seen any indication
that that has changed.  Also, it would have to come through the
incubator and that isn't fun.  I believe the ASF board is determined
that code that isn't developed in accordance with open, public
discussion and conflict resolution should not be in the ASF.

> Apache log4j has a decent 'brand' behind it, and many people are
> familiar with it and support it, but we've become stagnant, and
> perhaps people are moving on.  The logback project, if 'absorbed'
> as a new log4j version could well gain bigger traction quickly
> purely because of that brand and revitalize logging.apache.org as a
> broader community (I'm thinking non-java languages here).      What
> we want is a healthy dev community, and right now I'm not sure we
> (log4j) have one.  Curt's been the only one doing anything recently.

I'm definitely supportive of  efforts with other languages (but it
would also need to come with motivated developers).  There is an open
bug request on logging for Javascript (bug 36961).  I don't think
that the health of log4j development or bringing logback into LS
would make or break a log4js or a log4 ruby et al.  If someone is
interested in building a community for an effort in a particular
language, start a thread on general@logging and we can look at
starting a sandbox project.

> I'd be keen to consider starting Chainsaw v3 from scratch along
> side any post-log4j1.3-type operation and build in exceptional
> support for enterprise log management, but I'm only one person, and
> I know many of us are incredibly busy, but we were so active there
> for a while I think of the potential of what we could achieve! :)
> From a Java point of view I think many of the Java 1.4+ network
> library, and java.util.concurrent stuff could be well used in a new
> logging package.
>

>> Do we want to "fully support" 1.3 or just move on?  Log4j-1.3 is
>> much larger than 1.2 because of, among other things, Joran.  Joran
>> in 1.3 was Ceki's brainchild and continued development of it has
>> long since moved to Logback.  I'd be more comfortable letting
>> Logback developers maintain the official version and use it
>> instead of maintaining it ourselves.  I can't recall where I read
>> it, but I believe it was stated that Joran could be used in other
>> projects, separate from Logback.  Of course, then why not just use
>> Logback?  Unless people are truly prepared to put in the time to
>> figure out what the future of Log4j should be (and implement it),
>> I'm afraid that Log4j-1.2.xx is the end of the line, though I'm
>> completely open to being proved wrong.
>>
> What you say certainly seems possible.  If we're not careful, the
> log4j project could dwindle into nothing (not that that's a
> problem, just sad).

I expressed some of the same sentiments in the last board report.
Unfortunately, the minutes haven't been published yet.