Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com> on 2013/02/11 22:31:03 UTC

Flex and Amazon S3 API

Hello,
We had a need to use Amazon S3 API with STS within a flex mobile project.
We found this library:
- http://code.google.com/p/as3awss3lib/

Which does partly the job.
We extended it to be able to use Amazon Security Token Service.

We think this can be quite useful to Flex users and we would like to donate
the patch mentionned here:
- http://code.google.com/p/as3awss3lib/issues/detail?id=16

But we didn't get any answer from the project nor from main contributor
Christian Cantrell (
https://twitter.com/ubikingenierie/status/296357399172882432)

Maybe somebody on this mailing list can help us on this.

As license is hard to understand and not clear regarding what can be done
with the code, we don't know if we can fork the project on GITHUB.

Any help is welcome.

--
Regards
Philippe M.

UBIK-INGENIERIE on TWITTER <https://twitter.com/ubikingenierie>

UBIK LOAD PACK BLOG <http://www.ubik-ingenierie.com/blog/>

Re: Flex and Amazon S3 API

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Christian says the license gives you permission to fork to Github.  You have
to retain the Adobe copyright, and cannot use Adobe's name for promotional
purposes.

Have fun,
-Alex

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Flex and Amazon S3 API

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com>.
Hello,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Flex and Amazon S3 API

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Thanks for answer, but source code contains the following, where do you see
> BSD licensing ?

On the front page of the project. However if the source code contains headers like so then you're probably not allowed to use or modify the code in a application with permission of the author or Adobe. Best if you contact Christian Cantrell as far as I know he still works at Adobe.

Justin

Re: Flex and Amazon S3 API

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/11/13 2:11 PM, "Philippe Mouawad" <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for answer, but source code contains the following, where do you see
> BSD licensing ?  :
>

> /*
> Adobe Systems Incorporated(r) Source Code License Agreement
> Copyright(c) 2005 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
>
> Please read this Source Code License Agreement carefully before using
> the source code.
>
> Adobe Systems Incorporated grants to you a perpetual, worldwide,
> non-exclusive,
> no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license, to reproduce,
> prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, and
> distribute this source code and such derivative works in source or
> object code form without any attribution requirements.
>
> The name "Adobe Systems Incorporated" must not be used to endorse or
> promote products
> derived from the source code without prior written permission.
>
> You agree to indemnify, hold harmless and defend Adobe Systems Incorporated
> from and
> against any loss, damage, claims or lawsuits, including attorney's
> fees that arise or result from your use or distribution of the source
> code.
>
> THIS SOURCE CODE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "WITH ALL FAULTS", WITHOUT
> ANY TECHNICAL SUPPORT OR ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING,
> BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
> FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OF
> NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE OR QUIET ENJOYMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL ADOBE
> OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
> EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
> PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
> OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
> WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
> OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOURCE CODE, EVEN IF
> ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> */
>
> Regards
>

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Justin Mclean
> <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:
>
>> HI,
>>
>>> As license is hard to understand and not clear regarding what can be done
>>> with the code, we don't know if we can fork the project on GITHUB.
>>
>> The original code is licensed under the BSD license which is fairly
>> permissive. By my reading it would allow you to fork the project on GItHub
>> as long as you kept the original BSD license with that code.
>>
>> See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses#Proprietary_software_licenses_compa
>> tibility
>>
>> The BSD license is compatible with the Apache License so code under the
>> BSD can be donated to an Apache project.
>>
>> Justin

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.
http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: Flex and Amazon S3 API

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com>.
Hello,

Re: Flex and Amazon S3 API

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Re: Flex and Amazon S3 API

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/11/13 1:31 PM, "Philippe Mouawad" <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> We had a need to use Amazon S3 API with STS within a flex mobile project.
> We found this library:
> - http://code.google.com/p/as3awss3lib/
>
> Which does partly the job.
> We extended it to be able to use Amazon Security Token Service.
>
> We think this can be quite useful to Flex users and we would like to donate
> the patch mentionned here:
> - http://code.google.com/p/as3awss3lib/issues/detail?id=16
>
> But we didn't get any answer from the project nor from main contributor
> Christian Cantrell (
> https://twitter.com/ubikingenierie/status/296357399172882432)
>
> Maybe somebody on this mailing list can help us on this.
>
> As license is hard to understand and not clear regarding what can be done
> with the code, we don't know if we can fork the project on GITHUB.
>
> Any help is welcome.

I am not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice.  You may want to hire the
services of an attorney versed in IP and open source licenses.

That said, the BSD 3-clause license seems to indicate that you can fork it
onto GitHub as long as you retain copyright notices of the original authors
and any binaries can produce those copyright notices.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team