Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by Nihal <ni...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/13 06:38:57 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Hi all.!

Currently, with the help of show segment command, we can get the list of
segments with details like ID, Status, Load start time,
Load Time taken, partition, Data size, Index Size. And with the help of load
start time, we can know the segment id for a
particular load but in the case of concurrent load, it will be confusing to
know the segment id for the specific
load as load start time can be the same or nearby.

To come out with this problem we are planning to show the segment id with
the number of successful
entries in the segment when carbondata load is successful. We can include
some other details also if required after the conclusion.
With help of this, we can know the segment id corresponding to a particular
load and can be queried easily on that specific segment.

Note: This scenario is valid for* insert into *query also.

Please let me know your input about the same.

Thanks,
Nihal kumar ojha

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by Mahesh Raju Somalaraju <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1, Agree with Kunal's idea that shows segment ID for successful
load/insert.

Thanks & Regards
Mahesh Raju Somalaraju

Posted by akashrn5 <ak...@gmail.com>.
hi,

i think still the auto compaction after load is not async, plan is there to
make it async.
But according to me, we should give back current segment ID and if its
merged to some segment
we should say that , "X" is the segment ID loaded and its been merged to "Y"
segment, so that user can take decision whether to query that or not.

Because if we just give the current segment which will be in compacted state
and user blindly queries it and also if there is any concurrent clean files,
then operations will fail.
others can give their opinion.

Regards,
Akash

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by Indhumathi <in...@gmail.com>.
+1, Agree with kunal, to show segment ID for current load.

Regards,
Indhumathi M

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by Kunal Kapoor <ku...@gmail.com>.
+1, showing segment id should be enough as other information can be
gathered by other means.

Posted by areyouokfreejoe <83...@qq.com>.
Hi,
let's continue to discuss about this. When auto merge is enable, should we
return the segment id before or after compaction?
My opinion is we should return the segment id before compaction because:
1. users will focus on his load operation, the merge operation is in backend
and the users may not feel it;
2. return segment id after compaction is impossible based on the code now,
because the load and the auto merge are asynchronous.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by Vikram Ahuja <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1 with Kunal’s idea

Vikram

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by VenuReddy <k....@gmail.com>.
+1

Good idea. Agree with you.

Regards,
Venu

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by Nihal <ni...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

As per the suggestion and discussion, we have concluded to show only segment
Id as summary when load or insert command will be successful.

Regards,

Posted by Indhumathi M <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nihal,

I also feel, it is good to display only the segment Id at the end of
command, similar to
Update Command, which returns number of updated rows. No need to add other
details (It can
be enhanced in Show segments command if needed).

Regards,
Indhumathi M

Posted by Ajantha Bhat <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nihal,

Posted by Yahui Liu <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I agree to add some extra information after load/insert success. Shown
information should be only accessible during this load, other information
which can get at any time, no need to be shown on load return(we can add in
show segments command because we can run show segments command at any time).
I can use update command as example: update command will return "how many
row updated this time". This information we can never get after this update,
so this information is important.

So for load and insert command, my suggestion is following information:
1) segment id(of course)
2) how many row loaded/inserted this time(include the bad rows handled by
bad_record_action)
3) how many bad records(this information we can never get after
4) bad_record_location(this is also passed in load option, so maybe no need
because users set this themselves)

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by akashrn5 <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1,

Considering others opinions, just segment ID can be enough and users should
take care to check the status of it after load to decide whether to query or
go ahead with any other operation on that segment.

This makes code also simple and not induce any bugs and test scope will also
be very limited.

Regards,
Akash

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by David CaiQiang <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nihal, my suggestion as following,
1. contain the normal output of the show segment command
2. add more information for loading, like numFiles, numRows, rawDataSize
(maybe show segment need also, take care of CDC which needs to update this
information)

-----
Best Regards
David Cai

Re: [DISCUSSION] Display the segment ID when carbondata load is successful

Posted by Vikram Ahuja <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nihal

It's a good idea. We can also show the following information along with
segment number.
1. Segment size
2. Number of files in the segment
3. Cache size and location(index server in case of prepriming)

Can give the same information for add segment as well.
Others can give input as well.

Thanks
Vikram