Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Jurgen Lust <Ju...@UGent.be> on 2006/02/23 12:04:06 UTC

PMD on MyFaces

Now that we're using maven2 to build MyFaces, perhaps it's time to take
advantage of some of the more interesting plugins, and specifically the
PMD plugin:
http://pmd.sourceforge.net/

The PMD plugin for maven2 offers 2 report types, a Cut&Paste Detector
and a problem detector, with configurable rulesets. I've introduced this
plugin at work about a month ago and I must say that it has definitely
improved the code quality of our projects. Even very experienced Java
developers can learn something from this auditing tool.

Do you think it would be interesting to put this plugin in the MyFaces
POM? We could start with a limited ruleset to not get overwhelmed in the
beginning, and then gradually expand the list of rulesets. I'm willing
to lead this auditing effort, and implement the changes suggested by PMD.

Of course, I could just do this audit without the PMD maven plugin, but
using the Eclipse PMD plugin as well, but then noone would see the
progress we're making in that area :) One reason not to use this plugin
might be the license of PMD (BSD license), does the license of the maven
plugins matter for an Apache project?

Kind regards,

Jurgen

Re: PMD on MyFaces