Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com> on 2015/01/26 12:52:35 UTC

booting instances via pxe/tftp

Hi all,

I'm trying to boot instances via pxe. During my experiments that worked
a few times, but I've tried a lot and didn't document my single steps as
needed :/ Never got to a "stable" point.

By now, I'm quite unsure if a particular vm tries to boot pxe with the
default boot-order (HVM d,c)

For some VM's i've changed that to

xe vm-param-clear uuid=$VMUUID param-name=HVM-boot-params
xe vm-param-set uuid=$VMUUID HVM-boot-params: order="n"

the BIOS output didn't change. For other Boot-Options it says, one has
to press F12 (which is quite impossible due to the fact it's far to fast
skipped. Not to mention usual browsers have there own interpretation of
the "F"-Keys...).

Maybe the timeout can also be set, but I didn't find any option for
that, neither in ACS nor in XenServer.

- Stephan

Re: booting instances via pxe/tftp

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi,

I am not using PXE, but can confirm that at least on KVM PXE is first method tried - very handy.
Not sure how it is in XenServer, but I would imagine it's the same, for consistency's sake.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Stephan Seitz <
s.seitz@secretresearchfacility.com> wrote:

> Erik,
>
> > I've used the iPXE iso to boot successfully multiple times. Requires
> > nothing on the hypervisor as far as I know, but I don't know how it works
> > after you have an OS installed (I'm using it to bootstrap machines).
>
> thank's for your reply!
>
> This is exactly what I was looking for.
>
> After digging a little further, I stumbled upon
> https://github.com/mindjiver/packer-cloudstack
>
> Particularly the ipxe Image that guy built is very nice, since it
> chain-loads via userdata.
>
> So what I finally did with a very similar ipxe.iso is:
>
> cat >recipe <<__EOF__
> #!ipxe
> kernel http://10.10.1.254/vmlinuz root=/dev/nfs vga=normal
> nsroot=10.10.1.254:/nfs-image-installer/install ip=dhcp rw --
> initrd http://10.10.1.254/initrd.img
> boot
> __EOF__
>
> b64recipe=$(cat recipe | base64 -w0)
>
> cloudmonkey update virtualmachine id=$vmid userdata=$b64recipe
>

> Well, the first steps are done. Now I have to figure out a convenient
> way for my virtualrouter to give dhcp leases also to non-ACS machines /
> make cloudstack aware of other machines...
>
> So far, thank's again!

You're most welcome. Actually I'm using packer-cloudstack myself to build
templates, and that's where I found iPXE as well :-)

--
Erik

Re: booting instances via pxe/tftp

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com>.
Erik,

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
I've used the iPXE iso to boot successfully multiple times. Requires
nothing on the hypervisor as far as I know, but I don't know how it works
after you have an OS installed (I'm using it to bootstrap machines).

--
Erik

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Stephan Seitz <