Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/04 21:09:29 UTC

Re: Unable to cache beyond RAM memory. Help me PLease!!!

Hi Bhargav,

Can you please properly subscribe to the mailing list so that community
receives email notifications? Follow the instructions here:

bhargav wrote
> I am trying to check the option of ignite, to store data beyond physical
> RAM. I have started a ignite server  in amazon instance (specifications
> 1gb RAM, disk space - 60gb). Through another application started ignite as
> CLIENT Only and started storing data using cache.put(k,v).

Several points to consider:

1. Besides the data, Ignite creates several internal structures which also
require memory. I would give it at least 2-4GB of heap memory just to make
in fully functional.
2. Usually it makes sense to switch to OFFHEAP_TIERED when you data set is
large and goes beyond 8-10GB per node, because large heaps can cause large
GC pauses. For small data sets ONHEAP_TIERED is enough.
3. Most important: Ignite is in-memory system and having all the data in
swap space will most likely slow you down instead of giving performance
benefits. What are you trying to achieve with this configuration?

-Val
-Val

Re: Unable to cache beyond RAM memory. Help me PLease!!!

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Bhargav,

How much physical memory do you have?

-Val

Re: Unable to cache beyond RAM memory. Help me PLease!!!

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Bhargav,

I don't see any issues in this log either. The process is killed externally
by the OS, this is not due to memory issues. This can happen, for example,
if you logout from the system. Can this be the case?

-Val

Re: Unable to cache beyond RAM memory. Help me PLease!!!

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Bhargav,

Looks like you're still not subscribed to the mailing list. Can you please
do this? Here is the short instruction:

bhargav wrote
> Hi,
>
> Here is the link for the requested server node log
>
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/86009408053a778f6f13
>
> Please have a look and suggest incase i m missing anything.

I'm confused. There are no out of memory in the logs and the latest metrics
print out shows that there are 98% free heap:

Heap [used=138MB, free=98.65%, comm=1023MB]

Is it a full log?

I would also recommend to disable FINE logging for Ignite, it's much more
verbose than needed right now.

-Val

Re: Unable to cache beyond RAM memory. Help me PLease!!!

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Bhargav,

Can you show the full log of the server node?

-Val

Re: Unable to cache beyond RAM memory. Help me PLease!!!

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bhargav,

Are you sure that 4GB is enough for your data? How many entries do you have
and what is the average size of each entry in bytes?

-Val