Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu> on 2011/09/14 02:21:03 UTC

Tomcat Redirect Issue - Extra "/" after hostname - Help Please

All,

We are running into a peculiar issue.   We have Tomcat 6.0.24
front-ended by Apache2.2.3.  We have a VirtuslHost serving port 80
where Apache simply hands off "/" to Tomcat's load-balancer.

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu
   ServerAlias wwwprod www www.lsa.umich.edu
   Redirect         / balancer://dsmdelivery/
   ProxyPass        / balancer://dsmdelivery/
   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://dsmdelivery/
   TraceEnable Off
</VirtualHost>

Tomcat is tacking on an extra "/" as it creates a 302 response for one
of the Server Aliases, and not the other as in the curl output below,
when the URI does not have a trailing "/".

The problem cropped up when all systems including the F5 load-balancer
had to be rebooted after last weekend's storm.

-------------- Curl output for both virtual hosts:-------------
ldevm-shanti:~ shanti$ curl -v --dump-header headers_wwwprod.txt
http://wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu/polisci
* About to connect() to wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 141.211.177.191... connected
* Connected to wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu (141.211.177.191) port 80 (#0)
> GET /polisci HTTP/1.1
> OpenSSL/0.9.8r zlib/1.2.3
> Host: wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
< Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
< Location: http://wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu/polisci/
< Transfer-Encoding: chunked
< Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:28:29 GMT
<
* Connection #0 to host wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu left intact
* Closing connection #0
ldevm-shanti:~ shanti$ curl -v --dump-header headers_lsa.txt
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/polisci
* About to connect() to www.lsa.umich.edu port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 141.211.177.203... connected
* Connected to www.lsa.umich.edu (141.211.177.203) port 80 (#0)
> GET /polisci HTTP/1.1
> OpenSSL/0.9.8r zlib/1.2.3
> Host: www.lsa.umich.edu
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
< Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:28:47 GMT
< Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
< Location: http://www.lsa.umich.edu//polisci/
< Set-Cookie: BIGipServerlsa-cmsproddlv_pool=3232879501.20480.0000; path=/
<
* Connection #0 to host www.lsa.umich.edu left intact
* Closing connection #0

---------------

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

--
Shanti Suresh
LSA Development

Re: Tomcat Redirect Issue - Extra "/" after hostname - Help Please

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
Hi all,

I traced the problem to a missing "ProxyPreserveHost On" directive on
the LSA and the II VirtualHosts.  I added the missing directive, and
things are working fine.

Apache documentation says:
------------
When enabled, this option will pass the Host: line from the incoming
request to the proxied host, instead of the hostname specified in the
proxypass line.

This option should normally be turned Off. It is mostly useful in
special configurations like proxied mass name-based virtual hosting,
where the original Host header needs to be evaluated by the backend
server.
------------

In our case, we are doing mass name-based virtual hosting and were
missing this directive.

Thanks.

                -Shanti

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
Hi Konstantin,

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
So you'll notice that:

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/polisci  <== comes back with a "//" in
Location Header of the the 302 redirect response message

http://wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu/polisci  <==  does not have a "//" in the
Location header of the 302 redirect response message

Thanks.

--
Shanti Suresh
LSA Development

Re: HTTP errors Logging

Posted by Rudy Gireyev <rg...@gmail.com>.
Sorry. I don't understand at all what you are asking. What does module
mean? By module do you mean some part of Tomcat itself? Or some
application that you have written that runs within Tomcat?

If the latter then you have to configure the logging within that
Servlet system, which will depend on the logging library used.
Although this has little to do with Tomcat.

Rudy

Re: HTTP errors Logging

Posted by Michael Gesundheit <mi...@rocketmail.com>.

Re: HTTP errors Logging

Posted by Rudy Gireyev <rg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael.

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
Hi Andre,

Oh sure :-)  I forgot to mention that I did try commenting out and testing but left it back on as it did not make a difference.
Thanks, and sorry about the ommission.

                       -Shanti

--
Shanti Suresh
App Systems Analyst Lead

Re: HTTP errors Logging

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Michael Gesundheit wrote:
> What??

Ok, I will take the candle.

Michael,
to send your original message, what you did was :
- you edited an older message, which had a subject "Tomcat Redirect Issue - Extra "/"
after hostname - Help Please"
- then you changed the subject line
- then you typed your message
- then you sent that message to the list

What Pid is telling you, is that this is not a correct way to start a new subject of
discussion on this list (and not only on this one).
The reason is that when you do it like above, the message that you send still has
references in it to the old message that you copied (even if you do not see this).

And for people who display list messages in their reader using the "threaded" view, this
is very annoying, because your message appears in the middle of the discussion of the
other message, while it has nothing to do with that old subject.
Like this :

Tomcat Redirect Issue - Extra "/" after hostname...
   - answer #1 : Re: Tomcat Redirect Issue - Extra "/" after hostname...
   - answer #2 : Re: Tomcat Redirect Issue - Extra "/" after hostname...
     - answer to answer #2 : Re: Tomcat Redirect Issue - Extra "/" after hostname...
   - answer #3 : HTTP errors logging
   - answer #4 : Re: Tomcat Redirect Issue - Extra "/" after hostname...

          ????

Got it ?

To start a new subject, start a new message, do not copy an old one.

Re: HTTP errors Logging

Posted by Michael Gesundheit <mi...@rocketmail.com>.
What??

Re: HTTP errors Logging

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

HTTP errors Logging

Posted by Michael Gesundheit <mi...@rocketmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
Hi Andre,

Thanks so much for the observation.  Yes, The Redirect is redundant.  I will leave it in there for now though as this is not a recent change.  I would like to isolate what's causing "//".
I wanted to crank up logging in Tomcat side to catch the Request and Response processing.  I tried the RequestDumperValve.  But the 302s were not being caught.
Please let me know if there is a better way debugTomcat's request and response processing.

I would like to find out how Tomcat processes requests for "wwwprod.lsa.umich.edu/polisci" different from "www.lsa.umich.edu/polisci", causing it to send a "//" for the latter.

Thanks.

             -Shanti

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.