Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Graham Lewis [gjl]" <gj...@aber.ac.uk> on 2016/03/27 13:35:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing MySQL Debian Apache2

Something of a newbie to Linux, so if this question is too simple for this list, please point me elsewhere.

aspberry Pi) and having problems setting password for root when installing MySQL.  Despite seeming to accept the password, it does not seem to and  I get:

when starting mysql with:

mysql -u root -p whatever

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling

mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables
and

update user set Password=PASSWORD('new-password') where user='root';

Now getting:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Is there another way to set this password?

Regards
Graham Lewis

Co-ordinator
The Centre for the Development of Staff and
Academic Practice
Aberystwyth University
Cledwyn Building (Room S1)
Penglais Campus
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
SY23 3DD

Phone: 01970 621802
Mobile: (+44) 7779234032
Twitter: @Ham5ster

Re: [users@httpd] Installing MySQL Debian Apache2

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
You would be better off asking on a MySQL list of forum. This list is for
the Apache HTTPD project.

This might be a good place to start:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/information-sources.html

- Y

Sent from a device with a very small keyboard and hyperactive autocorrect.