Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ec...@tonbeller.com on 2006/03/02 09:57:45 UTC

register fonts with font-embedding off

Hi everybody,

the embed-file attribute is optional according to the documentation, but
the resulting pdf does not work with the acrobat reader: "Cannot find or
create the font '...'"
If the attribute is set then the pdf is ok.

Here is what is happening
- creating the font metrics files from  the Windows "Verdana" font files
- creating the font configuration file with or without embedding the ttfs.

- using the same font name "Verdana" that the FOP TTFReader has extracted
from the font  (that is the fonts name according to the windows font
property dialog)

I will be happy to provide the font metrics files, fop configuration file,
the FO input and the PDFs with and without embedding. They are not
attached here because I'm not sure if this is against the house rules

thanks
Eckard

Re: Antwort: Re: register fonts with font-embedding off

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Without further investigating I can't really tell whether this is a PDF
limitation or only a FOP limitation. The current wording of our website
suggests that this might have worked before. It doesn't now. I can
imagine that only referencing the TrueType font can be made to work if
someone teaches FOP not to use the font subset indexes for glyph acess
in that case. But it looks like you're stuck with having to embed the
TrueType fonts for the moment.

On 02.03.2006 10:51:42 Eckard_Buchner wrote:
> > It's been said on this list before that not embedding TrueType fonts
> > doesn't work. TrueType fonts always need to be embedded if the XML font
> > metric file has been generated without the "-enc ansi" option. With
> > "-enc ansi" the TrueType font can be used but not embedded, but you are
> > then restricted to the WinAnsi character set.
>
> Sorry for not checking the archives first.
>
> Is this a PDF or FOP limitation? Either embedding a font or being
> restricted to WinAnsi?
> I'm embedding fonts mainly to generate reports with non-"standard"
> character sets.
>
> Eckard

Jeremias Maerki

Antwort: Re: register fonts with font-embedding off

Posted by Ec...@tonbeller.com.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
It's been said on this list before that not embedding TrueType fonts
doesn't work. TrueType fonts always need to be embedded if the XML font
metric file has been generated without the "-enc ansi" option. With
"-enc ansi" the TrueType font can be used but not embedded, but you are
then restricted to the WinAnsi character set.

I guess I'll have to update the website which is missing a note what
exactly works and what doesn't. Looks like we didn't do our homework or
nobody helped us. :-)

To your comment about house rules in this case: Never post the original
font because you would likely be violating the license for the font.
Posting the generated XML font metric file is probably a gray area but I
doubt anyone would sue you because of that.

On 02.03.2006 09:57:45 Eckard_Buchner wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> the embed-file attribute is optional according to the documentation, but
> the resulting pdf does not work with the acrobat reader: "Cannot find or
> create the font '...'"
> If the attribute is set then the pdf is ok.
>
> Here is what is happening
> - creating the font metrics files from  the Windows "Verdana" font files
> - creating the font configuration file with or without embedding the ttfs.
>
> - using the same font name "Verdana" that the FOP TTFReader has extracted
> from the font  (that is the fonts name according to the windows font
> property dialog)
>
> I will be happy to provide the font metrics files, fop configuration file,
> the FO input and the PDFs with and without embedding. They are not
> attached here because I'm not sure if this is against the house rules
>
> thanks
> Eckard

Jeremias Maerki