Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Hayes, Peter" <Pe...@fmr.com> on 2009/04/02 20:52:14 UTC

Central index redirect

The company that I work for has blocked all access to the Amazon S3
hosting site due to security / threat concerns.   Due to this, I am no
longer able to download the central index. Has anyone else had this
issue and if so were they able to work around it?

Peter Hayes
Architecture & Shared Technology Services | Fidelity Investments
Management Technology

RE: Central index redirect

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

>I find it amazing that there were 224 million downloads of a single
>file in Central last month! That sounds more like the total usage of
>Central, astounding. (Curious is you have those numbers available
>too...)

You're right, I had the wrong number in my head. 224m was the central hit, 4m is the index hit.

>Are there misconfigured tools out there in the world that are causing
>this file to be downloaded every single time a build executes, or
>something along those lines??

Lots of users of the index....

Re: Central index redirect

Posted by B Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 07:31, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> and improve access time for other artifacts. (224m downloads and 24TB
>> last month alone for the index) The index is not accessible from
>
> I find it amazing that there were 224 million downloads of a single
> file in Central last month! That sounds more like the total usage of
> Central, astounding. (Curious is you have those numbers available
> too...)
>
> Are there misconfigured tools out there in the world that are causing
> this file to be downloaded every single time a build executes, or
> something along those lines??

I recently noticed that the default install of m2eclipse looks like it
downloads the index from central every time eclipse is started. I
hadn't expected this since I've got settings.xml configured to mirror
everything through the local nexus which has a copy of the index.

It seems it will be necessary to have each developer configure their
m2eclipse manually to get the indexes from the local nexus, though
behavior will revert to the default every time they set up a new
workspace, so really, there's no way to truly stay on top of this.

Surely, there must be a better way. What am I overlooking?

// ben

Re: Central index redirect

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> and improve access time for other artifacts. (224m downloads and 24TB
> last month alone for the index) The index is not accessible from

I find it amazing that there were 224 million downloads of a single
file in Central last month! That sounds more like the total usage of
Central, astounding. (Curious is you have those numbers available
too...)

Are there misconfigured tools out there in the world that are causing
this file to be downloaded every single time a build executes, or
something along those lines??

Wayne

RE: Central index redirect

Posted by "Hayes, Peter" <Pe...@fmr.com>.
We are using Nexus so I added the 'exist' repository as a mirror to
central.  The download indexes scheduled task though still receives an
error but I can't tell if it is actually trying to download from central
or the mirror.

Re: Central index redirect

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.