Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Nick Evgeniev <ne...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/14 12:38:19 UTC

How to share hivemind registry between HiveMindFilter an ApplicationServlet?

Hi,

I've found recently that very simple usecase for hivemind + tapestry is
lacking of any docs. Here it goes
1. I have tapestry application rooted by ApplicationServlet
2. In the same web application I want my services to be accessed via remote
api. Hence I've downloaded hivetranse (hiveremoting package) + hessian as
adhoc solution.

The problem is that hiveremoting depends on HiveMindeFilter to create
hivemind registry while tapestry (for nonundestandable reason) does things
by their own. Hence I'm having two copy of registries containig duplicate
instances of all of my services.

Is there any way to share the registry? I've read in the docs that tapestry4
has perfect integration with hivemind (compared to tapestry3), but
unfortunatelly documentation does not go beyond this statement. :(

It would be really strange if this is impossible, as tapestry is able to
share spring registry whith no effort at all..

Re: How to share hivemind registry between HiveMindFilter an ApplicationServlet?

Posted by Karthik N <ka...@gmail.com>.
can you share the steps and snippets from the config and web.xml files and
other steps?

On 11/19/06, Nick Evgeniev <ne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've solved the problem by switching to spring. It's too strange (after
> experience with hivemindfilter+applicationservlet) but spring tapestry
> integration works just as expected -- single shared registry w/o pain.
> with
> just 3 lines of code in web.xml. The only limitation in tapestry-spring is
> that it can use only singleton services in spring. It hurts but not so
> much
> as I can share singleton factories.
>

> James Carman wrote:
> >
> > They didn't use our filter because they load a whole bunch of
> > different hivemodule files from non-standard locations.
> >
> > On 11/16/06, Jean-Francois Poilpret <jf...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> >> Hi Nick,
> >>
> >> Although I don't know much about Tapestry way to create the Registry
> and
> >> give access to it, what you might possibly do with hiveremoting.cauchois
> >> subclass net.sourceforge.hiveremoting.caucho. CauchoRemotingServlet and
> >> override its getRegistry method to whatever is suitable with Tapestry.
> >>
> >> As far as I understand, it seems that in Tapestry, the Registry is
> >> created
> >> by the servlet (ApplicationServlet), what would be interesting to find
> >> out
> >> is when it is created (is it at init, or at first request?). If at
> init,
> >> then find a way to access the Registry in a static way (if available),
> >> you
> >> might also need to subclass Tapestry's ApplicationServlet to make its
> >> Registry accessible.
> >>
> >> But you are right: it looks strange that tapestry 4 does not use
> >> "HiveMind's
> >> way" to create the Registry, ie through the HiveMindFilter.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps
> >>
> >> Jean-Francois

Thanks, Karthik

Re: How to share hivemind registry between HiveMindFilter an ApplicationServlet?

Posted by Nick Evgeniev <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
You don't ~have~ to use the Tapestry ApplicationServlet, it's there as a
convenience. All it does differently is add looking for hivemodule.xml in
your web context directory.

On 11/16/06, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> They didn't use our filter because they load a whole bunch of
> different hivemodule files from non-standard locations.
>
> On 11/16/06, Jean-Francois Poilpret <jf...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > Although I don't know much about Tapestry way to create the Registry and
> > give access to it, what you might possibly do with hiveremoting.cauchois to
> > subclass net.sourceforge.hiveremoting.caucho. CauchoRemotingServlet and
> > override its getRegistry method to whatever is suitable with Tapestry.
> >
> > As far as I understand, it seems that in Tapestry, the Registry is
> created
> > by the servlet (ApplicationServlet), what would be interesting to find
> out
> > is when it is created (is it at init, or at first request?). If at init,
> > then find a way to access the Registry in a static way (if available),
> you
> > might also need to subclass Tapestry's ApplicationServlet to make its
> > Registry accessible.
> >
> > But you are right: it looks strange that tapestry 4 does not use
> "HiveMind's
> > way" to create the Registry, ie through the HiveMindFilter.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Jean-Francois

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer

Re: How to share hivemind registry between HiveMindFilter an ApplicationServlet?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.