Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2004/08/11 11:57:15 UTC

[OT] thought on license discussions (was: Re: Hibernate question)

On 09 Aug 2004, at 21:53, Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Let's imagine we base cocoon on spring. There was a discussion about
> including hibernate in cocoon and it failed (licensing). Spring being
> ASL 2.0 ships with hibernate library, even if not - it contains code
> that was compiled against hibernate interfaces. Wouldn't this be an
> issue?

Before anyone makes the obligatory remark license discussions are
boring, let's just not forget what Debian has been doing in this field
since many years - http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/

Granted, the number of license discussions has been increasing over the
past year(s), but if they can cope, so should we. It is the crux of the
contract we provide to our users.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [OT] thought on license discussions (was: Re: Hibernate question)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Steven Noels dijo:
> On 09 Aug 2004, at 21:53, Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>> Let's imagine we base cocoon on spring. There was a discussion about
>> including hibernate in cocoon and it failed (licensing). Spring being
>> ASL 2.0 ships with hibernate library, even if not - it contains code
>> that was compiled against hibernate interfaces. Wouldn't this be an
>> issue?
>
> Before anyone makes the obligatory remark license discussions are
> boring, let's just not forget what Debian has been doing in this field
> since many years - http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/
>
> Granted, the number of license discussions has been increasing over the
> past year(s), but if they can cope, so should we. It is the crux of the
> contract we provide to our users.

A mail list for that is good idea, I think a better idea is to state clear
in a web page what kind of licenses are valid for us -> this will avoid
further discussions....

And for the LGPL case I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.