Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by br...@me.com on 2015/09/13 16:45:32 UTC

Re: [Freemarker-devel] [VOTE] Proposal: Extended decimal fomat strings

I vote for the number format extension.

Note that this may not be forward compatible with future versions of the Java library, since Oracle could well have just the same idea.

I suggest the keys are open for discussion; I am not sure ‎"ro" for rounding mode is very clear for example. Also how do you decide if the currency symbol is before or after the number?

Cheers,

-- Denis.
Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 6:53:39 PM, Evangelia Dendramis wrote:

> Seems like an OK feature.  +1.
>
> I would like to note that as a front-end I've never needed that
> level of flexibility for decimals since that logic has always been
> handled in the backend.

Yes, ideally, the number formats are set in the backend. But how did
you do that? People usually set the "number_format" setting in the
Configuration, but that has this limitation that you could only
specify the pattern part of DecimalFormat. Now you can use "extended
decimal format strings" there. (Plus, in 2.3.24, for a while, you can
also define logical number formats, like "price", "weight", etc., and
then in the template write ${latitude?string.@price} and such.)

> I've really only ever needed to manipulate the format for locales.
> That's not to say the feature wouldn't be useful for a numbers-heavy
> app, e.g. something finance or statistics related.

More flexible number and date formatting is a recurring request, so
it's clearly needed. The question is how to do it. Right now it's
extended DecimalFormat format strings, and the possibility of
registering custom formatters (so you need not use DecimalFormat or
SimpleDateFormat).

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [Freemarker-devel] [VOTE] Proposal: Extended decimal fomat strings

Posted by Evangelia Dendramis <ev...@gmail.com>.
Seems like an OK feature.  +1.

I would like to note that as a front-end I've never needed that level of
flexibility for decimals since that logic has always been handled in the
backend. I've really only ever needed to manipulate the format for locales.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: Extended decimal fomat strings

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Sunday, September 13, 2015, 4:45:32 PM, bredelet@me.com wrote:

> I vote for the number format extension.

Thanks, and that would be "+1 (non-binding)" according the Apache
voting rules. ("Non-binding" because you aren't PMC member...
formality. BTW, if you want to be a PMC member, I'm open to that.)

> Note that this may not be forward compatible with future versions
> of the Java library, since Oracle could well have just the same idea.

Good point. Actually it's forward compatible as FreeMarker will
continue handling that section even then, but I see what you mean. So
either we take this small(?) risk, or we do something like "0.##;;
#ext grp=_ ro=hu", which looks less tidy.

> I suggest the keys are open for discussion; I am not sure ‎"ro" for
> rounding mode is very clear for example.

Yes, that's questionable. What do others think?

My thinking was that people often specify the formatting ad-hoc, like
${n?string('0.00;;ro=hu')}, and then
${n?string('0.00;;roundig=half-up')} is perhaps too verbose. OTOH I
never liked these ad-hoc patterns in the templates, and that's one
reason why in 2.3.24 you can define a custom format, let's call it
"weight", as the alias of and other format string (like of "0.##"
etc.) in Configuration and/or Template and/or Environment, and then in
the template use ${n?string.@weight}. If users will adopt this
approach, then '0.00;;roundig=half-up' is a clear winner. Otherwise
I'm not sure.

> Also how do you decide if the currency symbol is before or after the
> number?

The place of currency symbol is specified in the standard
DecimalFormat pattern with a "¤" (\u00A4) or "¤¤". In the extension
part we just allow overriding how it looks, not where it is.

P.S. I still post these mails on both dev lists, but who is still only
on freemarker-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, please click on
dev-subscribe@freemarker.incubator.apache.org!

 Daniel Dekany