Posted to user@flink.apache.org by mingleizhang <18...@163.com> on 2017/08/19 08:28:03 UTC

Just do a survey, how many people give up the storm and turn to Flink ?

Hi, flink user

     I just want to do a survey as the subject said. How many of you that used to use storm as your real-time computing framework, but now, turn to Flink instead. And why ? Could you tell me ? Thank you very much!

Thanks
zhangminglei

Re:Re: Re: Just do a survey, how many people give up the storm and turn to Flink ?

Posted by mingleizhang <18...@163.com>.
Thanks, Renjie. Same here.

minglei

At 2017-08-21 11:19:48, "Renjie Liu" <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

We are running both systems. Old existing systems are still running on storm and new jobs are all running on flink.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:06 AM kaniska Mandal <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

Storm supports 'exactly once' - http://storm.apache.org/releases/current/Trident-tutorial.html

Storm supports 'stateful processing' - http://storm.apache.org/releases/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/State-checkpointing.html

Storm is blazing fast - when its properly configured to use distributed (via some client like redisson) and local cache.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es> wrote:

If you combine Storm with Redis for managing state you still do not have "exactly once" when a failure of a processing node occurs.
With Flink you do have that.

Niels

On 19 Aug 2017 12:00, "mingleizhang" <18...@163.com> wrote:

Thanks Niels for your answer. Yes, storm does not support stateful processing components. So, I have to use something like Redis to store it's stateful.

At 2017-08-19 16:57:13, "Niels Basjes" <ni...@basj.es> wrote:

Hi,

The company I work for switched about 2 years ago because of these reasons AT THAT moment!
1) Storm doesn't run on Yarn
2) Storm doesn't support statefull processing components.
3) Storm has a bad Java api.
4) Storm is not fast enough.

Some of these things have changed over the last 2 years. But comparing the two at this moment would still let me choose Flink.

Niels

--

Liu, Renjie
Software Engineer, MVAD

Re: Re: Just do a survey, how many people give up the storm and turn to Flink ?

Posted by Renjie Liu <li...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Storm supports 'exactly once' -
> http://storm.apache.org/releases/current/Trident-tutorial.html
>
> Storm supports 'stateful processing' -
> http://storm.apache.org/releases/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/State-checkpointing.html
>
> Storm is blazing fast - when its properly configured to use distributed
> (via some client like redisson) and local cache.
>

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es> wrote:
>
>> If you combine Storm with Redis for managing state you still do not have
>> "exactly once" when a failure of a processing node occurs.
>> With Flink you do have that.
>>
>> Niels
>>
>> On 19 Aug 2017 12:00, "mingleizhang" <18...@163.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Niels for your answer. Yes, storm does not support stateful
>>> processing components. So, I have to use something like Redis to store it's
>>> stateful.
>>>

>>> At 2017-08-19 16:57:13, "Niels Basjes" <ni...@basj.es> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The company I work for switched about 2 years ago because of these
>>> reasons AT THAT moment!
>>> 1) Storm doesn't run on Yarn
>>> 2) Storm doesn't support statefull processing components.
>>> 3) Storm has a bad Java api.
>>> 4) Storm is not fast enough.
>>>
>>> Some of these things have changed over the last 2 years. But comparing
>>> the two at this moment would still let me choose Flink.
>>>
>>> Niels

> --
Liu, Renjie
Software Engineer, MVAD

Re: Re: Just do a survey, how many people give up the storm and turn to Flink ?

Posted by kaniska Mandal <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es>.
Hi,