Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2011/01/15 00:20:50 UTC

[JOB] Student Wanted for small Machine Learning project

Hi Mahout's,

I'm looking for a comp. sci. (or similar) student with an interest in machine learning and Mahout for a small Mahout related project (about 2-3 weeks of time) in clustering.

The ideal candidate is a grad. student with some familiarity with machine learning, benchmarking (speed and quality) and Java or other programming skills.  The person should also be familiar with the basics of running Mahout's clustering algorithms and, ideally, have these other skills:

* Familiar with Amazon EC2 or EMR or access to your own Hadoop cluster with at least 16 nodes
* Understands how to convert real-world data into actionable features for use in clustering (i.e. you can convert something like a PDF or mail document into a Mahout vector)
* Attention to detail when running experiments
* Self motivated and capable of working remotely while meeting a deadline
* Able to communicate effectively in English (verbal and written)

You will gain:
	1. Real world experience with Mahout and will have made a valuable contribution to the Mahout project (in other words, you will be able to share your work and receive full credit for it) and helped me, too!
	2. A smallish flat fee (paid upon completion of project, I will give details off list)
	3. Citation in an upcoming book on Mahout and machine learning and possibly other publications

For those interested, please email me your qualifications, contact information and availability at clustering@mahout.grantingersoll.com.  If you do not already have a cluster, I will pay for compute time on EC2.

Thanks,
Grant Ingersoll