Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by joea <jo...@j4computers.com> on 2012/04/10 12:00:54 UTC

Malware flagging

Aside - I originally sent this last evening, it was rejected to the subject line.  Let's hope this one is acceptable.

I get a few of those emails with zip attachments, slipping thru.  Scanner, Airline tickets, etc.  I guess these are "malware" rather than SPAM, so I began looking at amavis.

I have two questions that may be tinder for someones flint.

- is amavis a scanner in its own right, or is it just the email "shim" and must it work with a virus scanner?  A quick look left me confused.
- is there a guide to making it work with spamassassin/postfix?   While it may become clear after stepping back a bit, it's been along day already.

Oh, look at the time. . . .

joe a

Re: Malware flagging

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 04/10/2012 12:00 PM, joea wrote:
> Aside - I originally sent this last evening, it was rejected to the subject line.  Let's hope this one is acceptable.
>

> I get a few of those emails with zip attachments, slipping thru.  Scanner, Airline tickets, etc.  I guess these are "malware" rather than SPAM, so I began looking at amavis.
>
> I have two questions that may be tinder for someones flint.
>
> - is amavis a scanner in its own right, or is it just the email "shim" and must it work with a virus scanner?  A quick look left me confused.
> - is there a guide to making it work with spamassassin/postfix?   While it may become clear after stepping back a bit, it's been along day already.
>
> Oh, look at the time. . . .

amavis is the glue between your MTA and SA/Antivirus/etc, and not
totally trivial to implement.

As you don't mention what interface to SA you're using , if you need a
quick solution I'd recommend using ClamAV and its included milter which
works  well and is simple to implement.