Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de> on 2014/04/11 08:46:00 UTC

Ant @ Jenkins

I have  a look at the configuration of the Matrix Job at Apaches Jenkins
instance

https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix/configure

We have a special job [1] for openJDK8. I think this was introduced in the
time when Java8 was not released.

No we have several Java8 installations available on the matrix: Open JDK 1.8
(Only on ubuntu nodes) + jdk-1.8.0

Should we

- add these two to the build matrix?

- change the openJDK8 job to use Java9?

There is a timeout of 30min. Three of six (sounds like a Borg name ;) took
over 20min:

- JDK 1.6 @ Windows [2]

- JDK 1.7 @ Windows [3]

- JDK 1.5 @ Windows [4]

Should we increase that timeout?

The build is started via Ant 1.8.2 (launch-build.xml), which launches
build.[sh|bat].

Just for that operation 1.8.2 is fine, but we could update the Ant version.

Jan

[1] https://builds.apache.org/job/ant-on-openjdk8/

[2]
https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix/jdk=JDK%201.6%20%28latest%29,
label=Windows/690/

[3]
https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix/jdk=JDK%201.7%20%28latest%29,
label=Windows/690/

[4]
https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix/jdk=JDK%201.5%20%28latest%29,
label=Windows/690/

AW: Ant @ Jenkins

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.
I updated the Jobs
- deactivated openJDK8 (with a comment)
- let the Matrix build also on jdk-1.8 and openJDK8
- update all Ant Jobs to use Ant 1.9.3

I created an issue for installing Java9 for Jenkins

Haven't changed the build timeout.
We could increase that value if there are builds failing for that reason.
According to the [wiki]:
  Timeout (Mandatory)
  Activate the Build Timeout Plugin and set a realistic timeout value.
  Note that this is forced by the Admins by running a script on an
irregularly
  basis which set it to the double of the estimated duration with a minimum
of 10 minutes.

>Or separate the process in two steps, bootstrap run by a shell script and
then running ant test with ANT_HOME set to bootstrap ?
>I have done that on TeamCity and that works fine.

Maybe we wait until these changes haven't any impact.

Jan

[wiki]
http://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#Are_there_recommended_or_mandatory_Je
nkins_settings_for_ASF_projects.3F

Re: Ant @ Jenkins

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Sounds good,

Antoine

AW: Ant @ Jenkins

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.
update

Re: Ant @ Jenkins

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
On Apr 11, 2014, at 2:46 AM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <ap...@materne.de> wrote:

> No we have several Java8 installations available on the matrix: Open JDK 1.8
> (Only on ubuntu nodes) + jdk-1.8.0
>

> Should we
>
> - add these two to the build matrix?
sure

> - change the openJDK8 job to use Java9?
+1

> There is a timeout of 30min. Three of six (sounds like a Borg name ;) took
> over 20min:
>
> - JDK 1.6 @ Windows [2]
>
> - JDK 1.7 @ Windows [3]
>
> - JDK 1.5 @ Windows [4]
>
> Should we increase that timeout?

+0 - I am not sure

> The build is started via Ant 1.8.2 (launch-build.xml), which launches
> build.[sh|bat].
>
> Just for that operation 1.8.2 is fine, but we could update the Ant version.

Or separate the process in two steps, bootstrap run by a shell script and then running ant test with ANT_HOME set to bootstrap ?
I have done that on TeamCity and that works fine.

I also see some builds failing because JUnit tests XML are not available, I do not know why.
for instance the build 689 on JDK 1.5 ubuntu [5]

> Jan

Antoine

[5] https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix/689/jdk=JDK%201.5%20%28latest%29,label=Ubuntu/console