Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Byron Miller <by...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/01 15:15:51 UTC

Re: speed concerns, calling nutch from php

I've used Magpie rss library in PHP with great success
to do fast parsing of the OpenSearch XML data.

How long are your opensearch queries taking without
going through PHP to return results?

-byron

--- "Insurance Squared Inc."
<gc...@insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> We've built a php frontend onto nutch.  We're
> finding that this
> interface is dreadfully slow and the problem is the
> interface between
> the two languages.
>
> Here's where the slow down is:
>
> $url = 'http://localhost:8080/opensearch?query=' .
> $query .
>                        '&start=' . $start_index .
>                        '&hitsPerPage=' .
> HITS_PER_PAGE .
>                        '&hitsPerSite=' .
> HITS_PER_SITE .
>                        '&hitsPerDup=' .
> HITS_PER_DUP;
>      $xml_contents = file_get_contents ($url);
> <--------this step right
> here is slow.
>
> That above function call in our code can take
> between 5 to 12 seconds to
> complete.

Re: speed concerns, calling nutch from php

Posted by gl...@www.termquotes.biz.
Calling the query in tomcat takes like a second.  Tomcat retrieves the
results in a second or two.  BUt it takes 5-10 seconds from the time
Tomcat actually serves the query to the time the php function retrieves
the results.

I'm strongly suspecting something unrelated to nutch, and perhaps even
tomcat or php, that's server level that's causing the delay (which is why
we tried changing the localhost to 127.0.0.1).

We'll try both the library you've suggested and the other suggestion as
well to see if it makes any difference - thanks for the input.

Regards,
Glenn