Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Unternaehrer Stefano <st...@ti.ch> on 2005/04/05 13:45:00 UTC

My TomCat4 crash frequently

Hello all.
I need to finally find the cause of this problem.

I have an HP webserver running HP-UX 11, 3GB RAM.
One running Apache2, with 5 TomCat4, one for each
project. Java1.4 (/opt/java1.4/bin/PA_RISC2.0/java).
One of this TomCat is very requested and it crash
quite every day. I wrote a monitoring process
which restart it when missing.
But I need to understand why this arrives.

This single TomCat starts with java param -Xmx576m,
the others four with -Xmx192m.

I also tried following options, but without
relevant success:

 -Xoptgc -Xincgc -Xconcgc
 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:-ImplicitNullChecks
 -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m

In my jsp source files I have following options:

 <%@ page
  // ...
  buffer="24kb" autoFlush="true"
  // ...
 %>

In the catalina.out file I found several lines like this:

 Apr 5, 2005 11:38:36 AM
 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket processConnection
 INFO: server has been restarted or reset this connection

And, when TomCat crashes, I found lines like this:

 Exception in thread "CompileThread0"
 java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 60488 bytes
 for Chunk::new . Possible causes:
  - not enough swap space left, or
  - kernel parameter MAXDSIZ is very small.
 Out of memory while reading in symbol table of
 /opt/java1.4/jre/lib/PA_RISC2.0/server/libjvm.sl
 Stack_Trace: error while unwinding stack
 ( 0) 0xc1bfaac0 [/opt/java1.4/jre/lib/PA_RISC2.0/server/libjvm.sl]
 (16) 0xc13a9f60 __pthread_create_system + 0x420 [/usr/lib/libpthread.1]
 Java out of memory messages are marked with pid: 275
 in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log.

I cannot add ram, and the maxdsiz kernel parameter is 67108864
(maxdsiz_64bit has value 1073741824).
The swapinfo command says following:

              Kb      Kb      Kb   PCT
 TYPE      AVAIL    USED    FREE  USED
 dev     2097152       0 2097152    0%
 reserve       -  415376 -415376
 memory  2311928  469152 1842776   20%

Thank you for any hint on how to solve my problem.
Best regards,
Stefano
---
Stefano Unternaehrer - 6500 Bellinzona - 091 8141513
- Informatico Sbt - Sistema bibliotecario ticinese -
- stefano.unternaehrer@ti.ch  http://www.sbt.ti.ch -
PGP key available at http://www.sbt.ti.ch/~unter/pgp

Re: My TomCat4 crash frequently

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Maybe you have a memory leak in your app. Get a profiler and have a
look. If you search the list archives there is plenty of advice for what
to look for.

Mark